1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mount and wiring compatibility help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Xxwhiteneonxx, May 12, 2017.

1. Xxwhiteneonxx

Xxwhiteneonxx Member

So I'm looking to buy a prodigy off of somebody and it's on a 2015 ram. I want to toss it on my company beater as a backup next year. It's on a 2015 ram. My backup beater is a 98 2500 gmc. Obviously I know the mounts need changed but can I use the same wiring and isolation module? From my experience, when I use the wrong wiring, I just buy a pigtail at advance auto and solder a new headlight connector on. Just curious to see what you guys input is on the matter. Let me know, I'd like to get it setup soon.

-Ceranic's lawn and landscape

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Go to the Western website and use Quickmatch to find the part numbers for installing that plow to each vehicle and then compare part numbers. Chances are the isolation module will be the same but not the headlight harness. Controller and all other wires are transplantable.
    I wouldn't recommend trying to jerry-rig the harness. Just buy the right one and save yourself the headaches.
    There is no schematic for what's inside the isolation module so it is very hard to know how to adapt the wrong headlight harness to make it work.
    If you have any problems with that modified wiring in the future and you take it to a Western mechanic (like me) they will take hours to reverse engineer what you have done only to insist on ripping it out and installing the correct harness once they realize what you did. This will cost far more than a new harness right now.
    It's not just a simple light circuit. Do you know if the old truck and new are both common + or common negative at the headlight bulbs? Are both trucks quad headlights or integrated high / lowbeam singles? Do the low beams go off when the high beams are on or do all filaments stay powered? Do both trucks have identical daytime running light systems (DRL).(Since the source is a Dodge and the target is a GM I can assure you they are not.) Do you even know what that all means? If you can't answer all those questions with ease then you have no business trying to modify the light harness and risking your lights failing while driving. Consider all the other people on the road too.
    That's my 2 cents worth.

Philbilly2 and Randall Ave like this.
  3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen 2000 Club Member

On top of that hoopla, the headlight harnesses are only about 150 bucks. That's not even close to expensive enough to make it worth hacking up what is essentially a new plow harness.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

x2 on that^^^

With the iso box, positive commons, negative commons, signal voltages, etc... screw cutting apart a harness that you can most likely recoup at least 1/2 of your investment being from a 2015. List it in the market place and just buy the headlight harness that you need.

5. Philbilly2

come to think, if you have the HB3/ HB4 headlights on your 98, I have a few of the harnesses laying around here if you want to take that route...

6. Xxwhiteneonxx

Xxwhiteneonxx Member

I'll try to get the numbers off the stuff today. Can you guys help me figure out what all I'd need to switch out and if any of you have what I need? I'm going to be saving the 500 and making my own western style mounts for the truck so all I'll need is wiring. Thinking I'm going to have to crank the torsion bars or get a big bump stop. My old 2500 hates weight being attached to it.

7. Philbilly2

Do you have the quad headlights (hb3/ hb4) on the front end or the sealed beam work truck style (2b they called it i think?) front end?

8. Xxwhiteneonxx

Xxwhiteneonxx Member

Here's a pic if this helps

tmp_12722-20170516_091102-641306083.jpg

9. Philbilly2

2b...

I will look, but I don't think I have any of those harnesses.

10. Xxwhiteneonxx

Xxwhiteneonxx Member

I'll need a new iso module too right?

11. Philbilly2

For that truck, you will only need the headlamp harness (29051) on the wiring end.

Isolation box will be the same. (29070-1) should be what the dodge has

I would check for the mount at a bone yard or on CL. Takes quite a bit of time and effort to build them properly. On an almost 20 year old truck, they should be very cheap used especially this time of year.

12. Xxwhiteneonxx

Xxwhiteneonxx Member

So those are for sure the part numbers I'll need? Or is there anything else to confirm prior?

Do you know where I can pick up a headlight harness they appear to be around 300 online.

The mount I'm going to mock up the dodge mount tomorrow and see what it looks like. To me, it looks like the dodge mount will bolt up if I drill new holes in the rail.

13. Philbilly2

As long as you get ALL the wiring off the Dodge, technically you will only need the 28464 lighting harness... $143.00 http://www.storksplows.com/28464-we...er-module-truck-side-light-harness-28463.html

The 29051 is a "kit" of sorts... It will have the 28464 (headlight harness) and the 26357 (11 pin grill plug) they go for about $180 http://www.storksplows.com/29051-we...n-module-truck-side-light-harness-b29051.html I just never see a point to only by the headlight harness when for an extra $40 you get the 11 pin also that retails for $140 included with it. You can sell the 11 pin harness if you dont need it for $75- $100 all day to someone who needs it helping you re-coop a bit more cash on the swap.

14. Xxwhiteneonxx

Xxwhiteneonxx Member

Thanks for all the help! I listed the mounts and wiring in the for sale section.

15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

You DO have 3 port module and not 4, right? since it was on a 2015 that's what everone that's answered so far is figuring, but it could have been older 4-port wiring that was transferred to the 2015 from something older.

16. Xxwhiteneonxx

Xxwhiteneonxx Member

The one I have is the 3 port. It's the part number of the one listed above.

17. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

cool, good!