more snow

Brian Holmes

I`v'e just picked the chore of plowing our church parking lot when it snows, about 5 acres total asphalt to clear. In the mid North East we can get 8 inches once or 1 foot several times in a season. The last snow (6 inches) it took me 2 different days and 12 cups of coffee to plow with an 72 inch angling blade. I really think the people that design these large parking lots should have to clear the lot once to convince them not to put so many decorative curbed islands in them. This really slowed me down trying to avoid all of them. My point is I was considering buy a snow pusher to use but I get conflicting views on what size to buy.
I would think a 10` box snow pusher would be the most efficient but was told buy some dealers I should use no bigger than an 8 foot. I have an John Deere 8875 which is the same as a NH LX885, 61 HP and at 7200 lbs. So what is the advice from the experience people here.
I guess I don`t want to buy something only to find out I could have used a larger box and saved some time as this is volunteer time with no compensation.
Doing some research I turned up more confusing opinions but they were from 2003.View attachment 210619

1olddogtwo

PlowSite Fanatic
Things to consider, a rubber edge will cost you HP due to drag. A steal edge will provide you a cleaner surface under most conditions.

A 10 is doable, 8 is better for long pushes, and may be faster. Hope it's a 2-speed.

Depending on budget, good used boxes in this time of year will costly.

94gt331

The box pushers are nice when the snow is lighter, but when its heavy snow the box will fill up quick and really slow ya down. We use them but honestly for longer pushes id probbally go with a plow instead so you can keep moving. The pusher box with the optional plow combos are nice but very expensive. I priced a kage or similar units for $8 or 9k.

So for now we stick to our 8 ft box pusher and just keep working at it. We be lucky if we get more than 5 plowings a year anymore, just cant justify spending the money on a better unit.

Western1

PlowSite Veteran
You could try wings on the plow. Cheap test? Can you make some snow stations to cut down on long pushes? Areas in the lot to stack snow

OP
Brian Holmes

Brian Holmes

Things to consider, a rubber edge will cost you HP due to drag. A steal edge will provide you a cleaner surface under most conditions.

A 10 is doable, 8 is better for long pushes, and may be faster. Hope it's a 2-speed.

Depending on budget, good used boxes in this time of year will costly.

I think the addition of wings on the plow is a good idea and I`ll order a pair up.
Yes it`s a 2 speed and I believe the 8 foot box with a steel edge will certainly work and the 10 ft. is a maybe with the long pushes like you said. I`ll go with the 8 ft. and just drink 3 more cups of coffee to get`r done.
Thank you for the responses

OP
Brian Holmes

Brian Holmes

Yep bought this at auction for a good price. Spent the whole summer fixing the little things that didn`t work and the heat was the first thing I repaired so it keeps me warm enough. The unit came with a full cab with wiper. It`s a 1998 JD 8875 bought for plowing snow only. Found a cheap craigslist truck plow and painted it and reworked it to the Aux. hydraulics with quick disconnect plate from the internet.
Now if the Hydraulic motors stay working it will be worth it. I've owned skids for 35 years cause of my construction company and know the older ones can be money pits. We`ll see. Now retired can`t see spending big bucks for anything that`s going to sit around more than it gets used.

CCSnow

What is the longest run in the lot? I use a Cat 262D (about 1000 pounds more 75hp) and the longest straight run I have is 450ft and have never had a problem making it to the other side with a 10 foot box. With snow tires I bet you could possibly do a 10 foot box, I have stock size tires on mine. If you have to turn at all with a full 10ft you may have problems. The Boss push boxes are decent for the money as long as you get the steel edge, the braces in them suck though because it holds snow. Wish I had an Arctic but it was not in the budget at the time.

One question I have is do you have insurance? A lot of churches have general liability insurance and if you are considered an employee you can be covered under that. I work for a church and our insurance guy said we didn't have to change our insurance at all when I started doing the snow removal.

OP
Brian Holmes

Brian Holmes

The long runs are about 412 ft long as measured on Google Earth on the main lot and run down hill some what and it`s a total of 5.7 acers for the main lot, school parking lot, office, complex lot on the sides. Then the entrance drive way is 750 ft. long and all up hill by 25` wide, that`s enough asphalt to clear by my self with a 72 inch blade. Maybe I`ll do the 10` and if it`s to much sell it or cut it down to an 8`.
And one of the women asked me if I could get the sidewalks too but done first, :help: I kept my cool. At 70 years old I don`t do sidewalks even with a blower.

I`ll check on that insurance issue, good call, and I didn`t even consider that. Read this by clicking on the little box with an arrow.
https://turnto10.com/news/local/police-man-dies-after-being-run-over-by-skid-steer-machine

"Yes that will be 2 million dollars Mr. Holmes" "But it was church volunteer work!"
" Doesn`t matter pay up" Yes I`ll check on that insurance tomorrow.

Last edited:

Top Forums