Snow Plowing Forum banner

MM2 A-frame bolts loose

8K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Western1 
#1 ·
Good morning all,
I'm pretty new to this whole plowing thing, so please bear with me.

I have a Minute Mount 2 I purchased used, and the four bolts that hold the A-frame to the push assembly are loose.

I've gathered from the manual and from this thread (http://www.plowsite.com/threads/extreme-v-general-questions.130137/) that they are not supposed to be loose, but the guy who had the truck before me said that he couldn't ever get those bolts tight without bending something. Looking at it, there is a noticeable gap between the two pieces.

Is there a spacer or something that is supposed to go in there, or do I have larger problems?

#2 ·
I am guessing you have a v plow since that is the only MM2 I can think of at the moment with bolts in the A frame (actually called a H frame by Fisher) Once they have come loose it is next to impossible to get them tight again because the threads get damaged. They will need replaced. Post a pic of the bolts.

#5 ·
Sorry about that - it is a V. I had made the assumption that I would need to replace the bolts. My question is more about whether there should be a spacer of some sort in there, or if slightly bending the push assembly was normal/acceptable.

Photo attached is looking down from the top at the passenger side bolts.

Cloud Sky Wood Grey Gas

#7 ·
If it's an extreme V, those bolts should be carriage bolts. With the plow on the ground you have the ability to make a small adjustment to the attack angle, then tighten them securely.

#13 ·
Replaced the bolts with generics (3 inches was too long for the front set). Adjusted and tightened everything down. It didn't appear to actually bend any of the push assembly, as I had been concerned about.

I won't know until tomorrow what the impact of plowing was, but the impact on handling was tremendous.

#14 ·
Replaced the bolts with generics (3 inches was too long for the front set). Adjusted and tightened everything down. It didn't appear to actually bend any of the push assembly, as I had been concerned about.

I won't know until tomorrow what the impact of plowing was, but the impact on handling was tremendous.
Should of been Grade 5 bolts.

#20 ·
Mine is a 2010-11' XV. I haven't paid close attention to the newer or older stuff. Bought this back when they still came in a pile of pieces and the installer had to put everything together.
I think mine is a '13. I bought it used in the Fall of '14.

#22 ·
Mine is a 15 xv2, I just tightened those 4 bolts. Why do they loosen up? I just sold two Meyer plows, both commercial grade, a c9 and a c8 that were both 30 years old and no bolts loose on either one. Maybe they need to re engineer this T frame attachment points?
ETA: it's a 9'-6" stainless.

#24 ·
I just re torqued them with my 1/2" impact gun. I guess what bothers me the most is the fact that this is the first year plowing with it, shouldn't "need" anything yet I wouldn't think. I bought in the summer of 15, we didn't have any plowable snow last winter so it never got used. I only do about 8 or 10 driveways including a small parking area.

#25 ·
Is your impact capable of 250 ft-lb? Believe all fasteners are supposed to be re torqued after 10 hours. Things will "settle in" once you use the plow for the first few hours. Your installer should of told you this. It is also likely the installer did the same thing you did and used an impact instead of a torque wrench.

#26 ·
Kimber, thank you for the input. No, my dealer told me squat as I bought the truck new with the plow already installed. I'm guessing my impact does not torque to 250 ft pounds.
I will have to figure out how to torque them properly as it sits there isn't a way to get in there properly.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
DAve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.