Mini Skid plow upgrade

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Daley Construction, Feb 11, 2020 at 12:58 PM.

1. Daley Construction

Daley Construction Member
    from Airdrie

Hey Guys,

I currently plow with my Mini skid and a 50” blade that at full angle gives me 48” for sidewalks.

I picked up a free Polaris 60” blade and I am trying to figure the best way to make wings. I was thinking of splitting the new blade in half and then bolting it to the back side of my blade on each side to give me some extra width but the option to take them off for sidewalks.

Does this sound crazy?
    Current plow
    4C796217-C3A7-4A68-AB3D-3EE78F8EC288.jpeg

New blade
    A3AF226E-1EC8-498E-8810-1CB68A7663F8.png

Would a bolt through the bottom flange and than another two at the outer edge of the current plow be enough(one in the flange and one at the top

2. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

Nice. Maybe sliding/slide out wings?

Oof the back woodnt be as strong as the front.

3. OP
    OP
    Daley Construction

from Airdrie

I think sliding might outside my fab abilities.

In front might be easier to since the new blade is a little shorter. Although if I go behind I might be able to add a pivot and make it a containment too

30655AD9-DFA6-4BD5-8E3C-128BD3C79B6E.jpeg

4. OP
    OP
    Daley Construction

from Airdrie

Any additional thoughts before I start cutting this blade apart?

5. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe cut it apart and make wings similar to truck plow wings that could be removed for narrower walks, etc..
    If the wings are angled in, like most truck plows, you can contain more snow as well.

6. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

Google diy plow wings for some ideas.

EWSplow likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Daley Construction

from Airdrie

So I started messing around with the wings today. Split the plow in half and then removed some of the blade up to the support so I could keep the flange on the bottom.

initial setup is straight but I might make them angle in a bit. I would prefer a full metal edge and if I angle them I would have to add a rubber edge so the blade and still trip

As they sit they add 2ft each side for a total of 7’. Probably way to big
    2571DC32-2EFC-434B-AF0C-080D383ACE45.jpeg 75BBEB10-A86E-4238-9A25-6D95FFC748AC.jpeg

8. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

7' is too wide. For one thing, it probably won't scrape properly.
    If you look at plow wings angled in, the side that fits into the plow would have to be curved to fit the curvature of the existing blade. You should be able to scribe it to fit.
    Play around with some luan underlayment to make a pattern 1st.

BUFF likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Daley Construction

from Airdrie

If I do make then angle it would do both straight and angle with so I would add some conveyor belt to let the joint flex

10. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth PlowSite.com Addict

I ththink you might want to use some square tube on the back side of your blade. You could use tube that fits inside those tubes on the wings to slide them on/off and pin them on

11. OP
    OP
    Daley Construction

from Airdrie

I might need to add some. Problem I have is welding it to the blade. I only have a stick welder and haven’t had much success welding thinner material.

12. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth PlowSite.com Addict

Might be a job for your local welder. Might put some angle pieces top and bottom of the tube to join them tube to the blade.
    I'm much better with my arc welder then my wire one. Get some thick wall tube, and angle, if you do attempt to do it yourself. Always spark and start your weld on the thicker piece and pool out to the thinner piece. Go slow and let it cool often.

13. OP
    OP
    Daley Construction

from Airdrie

Did some more work the wings today

Going to keep them straight for now.
    They come of and can be stored on the back of the blade in 45seconds each.

C0A90CCC-5DEF-4C84-94CD-27A68AAFFDDB.jpeg 6D6483BA-5F4C-4F9F-AB93-47FC543350B6.jpeg AFE02FC5-9F3B-419B-A59D-5DDC2CAB8C3C.jpeg E17CE7E0-E916-4FE9-8756-10797EDEADB1.jpeg

14. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

So, they're removable?
    Maybe, have a couple pieces of square tube on the existing plow and smaller tube on the wings that could slide into them to keep it from folding back .
    I'd do it on top and just above the cutting edge.

cjames808 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  15. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

Eggzactly. 1/2 way there.

16. OP
    OP
    Daley Construction

from Airdrie

You don’t think that the factor angle on the back of the wing that extend into the blade 6” with two bolts would be enough to keep them from folding back.

I pushed a little snow in my alley with them and the worked well.

17. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

They're lapped by 6"?
    I think I'd opt for something a little more rigid. I'd also go as far as the 2 vertical framing members on the plow. You also need something to hold them in.
    If you're using angle, weld a piece of angle or something on the frames to hold them for back blading.