1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mini light bar trouble

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Dbpropert, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Dbpropert

Dbpropert Junior Member
    from 37814

I bought an axixtech mb-30 lightbar from a company online. When I received it the cigarette plug end was cut off of it. I went online and ordered a new pigtail and wired it up. The lightbar came on and worked for a few seconds and shut off. I checked the fuse in the plug in and it is OK. Anyone have any idea how to fix it or know someone who can?

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

2 wire or 3 wire?

if new why not return it as defective?

3. Dbpropert

Dbpropert Junior Member
    from 37814

3 wire. It was listed as a clearance item and never mentioned the wires being cut off. They said it was removed from an install. I've emailed them several times and they won't respond.

4. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Did you check the fuse for the cigarette plug on the truck?

5. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure it was for a cigarette lighter and not wired to be hardwired? Not sure if that would matter or not.

6. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

I don't think it matters.

7. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Exactly how did you wire it? You have Positive, Negative and Pattern Select wires if you have a 3 wire unit. It should operate with just the Positive and Negative wires hooked up. Generally speaking, the Pattern Select is a Momentary Positive.

ktfbgb likes this.
  8. Dbpropert

Dbpropert Junior Member
    from 37814

Red to red, black to black, blue to blue.

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

might want to pop the cover and see if there is a low amp fuse on the control board

10. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

After that check the lighter fuse on the truck. I bet something was shorted and if the inline fuse is ok you probably smoked the truck fuse.

11. Too Stroked

For most LED mini bars, it would be pretty hard to blow a Lighter Outlet fuse. They just don't draw anywhere near the amount of current a lighter does. Then again, if that fuse did blow, that would indicate a pretty serious draw.

12. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Ya just the fact that it worked for a few seconds then shut down. If the fuses are good on the light I would check that second. We don't know what else he has wired on that circuit or if has a short in the wiring for the lighter it's self etc.

13. Dbpropert

Dbpropert Junior Member
    from 37814

I checked the fuse to the plug and it's fine. Phone charger works fine but the light does nothing when plugged in.

14. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Probably have a bad connection inside the light or a bad led controller then. Probably why it was on clearance.

15. Too Stroked

Sadly, I've got to agree with you there. See if they'll take it back, but being that it was on clearance, I'm thinking that the only light that is now lit is the "You're Screwed" light. Sorry.

16. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

What I have found through a lot, 16 hours or so, of research on led lighting is that the old saying really really matters with led lighting. You get what you pay for. There are so many cheap Chinese made led stuff it's rediculous. However there is some pretty good Chinese led lighting as well. I recommend you checking out Strobes n More on the web. They are a sponsor on this site and they sell just about the the best affordable led lighting options out there in reference to emergency/warning strobe lighting. Can you go up from there to like federal or whelen? Absolutely, but as for bang for the buck I think they are the way to go. They have a lot of videos demonstrating their products and if you have questions about what you need just give em a call.

17. Dbpropert

Dbpropert Junior Member
    from 37814

Thanks guys.

18. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Did you buy the right plug style? Some are negative ground. I believe others are grounded through the interrupter switch. Don't quote me here. I could be off. Not an electrician. The last plug end I ordered offered two options on how it was grounded. Is it possible you ordered the wrong style of grounded plug?

Hopefully someone with more electrical experience jumps in to clarify my minimal electrical knowledge.

Dbpropert likes this.
  19. Too Stroked

I think you'll find that the standard wiring for a Lighter Plug is positive (+) at the tip and ground (-) being on the side of the plug. What you will find with LED products is a difference in how the pattern select wire is handled. Some manufacturers use a momentary ground while others use a momentary positive. That was probably the difference in the two plugs you saw.

hickslawns likes this.