1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

mick/heather, anyone

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bribrius, Oct 21, 2007.

  1. bribrius

    bribrius PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,609

    still thinking of getting the commercial insurance. (havent really decided but what if i hit the dunkin donuts sign in the drive thru?.....)
    most ill be doing is some driveways unless its a one time deal to plow a small commercial lot because the normal guy never showed. not doing contracts.. two choices so far. open for opinions/comments.
    last time i was on a commercial policy i wasnt the policy holder. never had my own. dunno. neither is general liability. i really dont want to go to that extent since i wont be snowblowing too many walks or putting much sand down with my shovel (if any). reccomendations?

    two listed drivers and vehicles on policies. only commercial use for fifty mile radius.
    choice one.


    BI-PD 100/300/50
    UM-UIM 100/300
    MED-PAY 2000
    COMP 250
    COLL 250

    choice two

    BI-PD 500 CSL
    UM-UIM 250/500
    MED-PAY 2000
    COMP 250
    COLL 250
  2. SnoFarmer

    SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN
    Messages: 9,883

    This horse is dead.
    Why are you still kicking it.
    This has been discussed over and over again and you already know the answer..:waving:

    Any-way you told me all you need in Maine is GL because you girlfriends sister is a secretary in an insurance office, so you know...

    Gee I Dunno:dizzy:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  3. bribrius

    bribrius PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,609

    i want to make sure i wouldnt have to pay for the dunkin donuts sign.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  4. SnoFarmer

    SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN
    Messages: 9,883

    But you were going to prove me wrong.....

    So what is it .

    You need more than GL??
    Who wud have thunk?:dizzy:

    Sticks and stones,, sticks and stones
  5. SnoFarmer

    SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN
    Messages: 9,883

    Registered User Join Date: May 2007
    Location: \\maine edge nh "THE TAX ME STATE"
    Posts: 301

    Originally Posted by SnoFarmer
    You need a new agent as she is lying to you.
    You can only plow your own property not your "friends" also....
    Your agent is no master of her profession.

    You need ins to plow even if you plow for free.

    nope. all set. i just gave my other halfs (girlfriends) sister a call and asked her. shes a agent also.
    she said:

    a. they have to cover whatever damage/injury is done when the plow is on the truck just as if it wasnt. once its attached to the truck its covered. (at least in maine). even when on a personal policy. if im plowing her driveway (the agent)this winter and hit her car. my insurance has to cover it and it is not optional.
    b. the insurance company cant come back on me for any claims paid as long as the vehicle isnt registered commercial or to a business entity, a business advertisement is not on the side of the vehicles, i do not advertise in the phone book for snowplowing, i do not advertise in newspapers or anything else and it is not considered a separate business entity beyond myself.
    c. many people in the state have snowplows. a snowplow on a vehicle is a assumed liability meaning its assumed that the owner will plow snow and the insurance company is required to accept that liability if they are to take on a policy in which the policy holder notifiys them that the vehicle has a snowplow.

    she also said the reason my insurance i have now wont come out and say they will cover it (which they have no choice to by law they have too) is because they dont want to encourage claims on a personal policy for snowplowing. but they will cover it. and i shouldnt worry about it. the most that may happen is they could not renew the policy. shes put through claims before on snowplowing damage/accidents on a personal policy.

    so no. im not getting the commercial insurance back. keep in mind though that im not really running twenty trucks like some of the guys on this board, im not doing commercial, and this is really more entertainment for me than anything else.

    LOL,,, WELL?
  6. bribrius

    bribrius PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,609

    it had nothing to do with gl. it was personal auto vs. commercial auto. and there is no answer. personal auto has covered trucks with plows for property damage and in accidents (i talked to a another guy today that plows under personal. he dropped his commercial a few years ago). but it is at the insurance companies discretion. they can refuse it if they know you are making money or operating as a business. so if i hit the dunking donuts sign and they think im plowing dunkin donuts then i will probably end up paying it out of pocket or end up in a lengthy battle over it.
    i was trying to get a opinion of what people thought of the price and what they think of the coverage amounts. make sure there wasnt anything i should be aware of. thanks for ruining the thread.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  7. LwnmwrMan22

    LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 28,362

    Bribrius - Sorry man, but you ruined the thread in the other thread, when many many many were saying that you needed commercial insurance if you're going to do commercial work.

    We all know you can run with personal insurance on your truck.

    We all know there's "1000's" of guys doing it.

    We also all knew that if you back into that dunkin donuts sign that unless you can prove to your insurance that you did it with your wife's car after you were home already from plowing, that you DON'T plow that lot, that you only have a plow to plow your city lot driveway, that you're going to be running a VERY big risk of getting stuck.

    You came back over and over and over with "no no no, I KNOW I can do this".

    Now you're back, saying...... "well, you know....."

    Anyways, I wouldn't run either option. I would get a higher deduct. with the comp and collision, run it up more towards $500-$750. After all, you should never have to use it, right??

    You don't say what vehicles you're insuring, so we can't tell if it's worth it or not.
  8. midwestsnowguy

    midwestsnowguy Member
    from midwest
    Messages: 36

    you will have to pay foranything you hit, up to you wether to turn it over to the insurance to get paid..... the dunkin donut sign is the least of your problems....what is you slide through an entrance while plowing and hit a car, hurt or kill some one in that car. hmmmm...ya i dont thinks that one will be a 300.00 sign repair. if you think you are touching a commercial lot get commercial insurance. if your doing 20 drives have fun.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

    LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 28,362

    FWIW, those signs are more than $300. Trust me, I've got 2 so far in the last 10 years.
  10. kcplowmata

    kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc
    Messages: 174

    Dont know what companies you got up there. No personal auto will cover you here after they find out you have a plow on your truck. It doesnt matter if you plow drives or drive lanes you are in the snowplowing for money. So that makes you a commerical contractor reguardless of what you are plowing. So quit being a tightwad and fork over the cash or you could be a lo baller and not have the cash lol payup
  11. bribrius

    bribrius PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,609

    haha. i know. i just hate to spend money unless its on something i want. :nod: im self centered. i want to keep the money for myself.
  12. Mick

    Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine
    Messages: 5,546

    You WANT to plow snow, right?
  13. basher

    basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707
    Messages: 8,993

    You do need commercial insurance if you deal with astute, or insured commercial customers. Anyone who does work for me is required to provide a certificate of insurance.
    Call your personal insurance company and ask them to send the Dunkin donuts a certificate of insurance, don't think they will, and if they do it won't satisfy the dunkin donuts lawyers/insurance writers.

    And keep the money tucked away, you may need to hire a lawyer one of these days. If nothing else when your insurance drops you, expect to pay a least twice what you're paying now for new insurance. It's tough to get coverage when you have none.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  14. heather lawn spray

    heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,206

    Just to make my position known

    I'm not going to reiterate everything gone before, but I will endorse what SNOFARMER &
    LWNMWRMN22 have just said