Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell all.. I have a Meyer E47 mounted on a '97 Yukon I bought about 4 years ago and am having a problem with it not holding the plow straight. Last year (2017 / 2018) it just started moving all the way to the left as soon as any pressure was put on it. I went through the flow charts and decided to replace the "C" valve and coil. This fixed the problem, somewhat, but not completely. I could plow but had to occasionally straighten the plow out as it tended to slightly move left as I pushed snow. The plow would also slowly lower when left up. Not bad enough that you could see it, but after about 10 minutes I could raise it up about an inch or so. I bought a seal kit for the Electro-Lift assembly, and the left Ram, as it had a slight leak. The Ram seal was shot, and the rebuild went well. I found the Electro-Lift assembly had the "B" valve check ball missing and an o-ring in the Crossover Relief Valve worn to almost nothing on the bottom (as installed). Other than these problems, everything else looked OK. I ordered a new check ball and spring for the "B" valve and completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the unit. After bleeding the air from the system, I can raise the plow and it stay's up. It doesn't leak down at all. It angles smoothly left to right and right to left. When I went to adjust the Crossover Relief pressure, I found I can push the plow to the left with my hand. It does not hold at all. If I angle half way to the right, I can push the plow all the way to the left by hand, and back to the right, but only to where it was positioned at the right. I can not move it by hand to the right, at all. I tried moving the Crossover Relief adjustment screw to different positions, but no change. I've had the Crossover Relief assemble out, apart and back together a few time but no change. I am thinking maybe the Crossover Relief valve is not working, but I don't want to just throw parts at this. According to the flow charts it could be the "C" valve, but I am thinking if it is, it's wouldn't angle left and right. Besides, it's is only a year old and this problem was already there - just not as bad. On the flip side, I replaced the "C" valve assembly to fix the same problem. I might mention that a few times I went to angle left and it angled right. But it did this since I bought it. It got much more infrequent when I replaced the "C" valve assembly. The flow charts mention the Pilot Check Ball as a possible problem, but again, I don't want to just throw parts at this. Does anyone have any suggestions, or has anyone seen this problem with this model plow before? I am pretty much dead in the water unless I can get this thing working right. ANY help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Jack

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
samcarpen, this afternoon I tried what you suggested and the piston would not move down at all. It did lift right out of the bore, so I tried to push the check ball down with a thin punch and it was stuck, so I removed the plug underneath to remove the spring and check ball but they were stuck. After I finally got them out, the check ball stuck down inside the spring. I reversed the spring and reinstalled everything. The piston moved but it was not smooth at all. The check ball then stuck open, so I disassembled it again, but this time the parts came right out. I am going to order a new pilot check ball and spring. I think either the spring diameter is too big or the check ball is too small. I will post an update after I replace the parts. I probably never would have found that problem. I am definitely new to this (plowing) but learning it fast....

Thanks again for your help,

Jack

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the P/S Jack... Maybe this will help ?? :drinkup:
Love the video. I didn't watch one, as it looked like a fairly easy job. Good to know I did the same thing he did with the ram seal I installed, but he had an easier time getting the fabric cups past the threads and into the bore. And YES, Beer is a must!Thumbs Up

Thanks!!!

Jack

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like the piston that actuates the pilot check valve ball is hanging up. Remove the plug on top of the PA block and press down on the piston. It should go down with some resistance and spring back up on it's own.
samcarpen, I replaced the check ball and spring. Since it's been raining since yesterday when I replaced the parts, so I need to wait for another heat wave before I drive up my bank to the plow to hook it up. The new parts work just as you described. The replacement spring diameter is not large enough to let the check ball slip down inside the coil and jam it. I don't know how it even worked in the first place. I'm going to attempt to upload a picture. I will follow up with another post once I can get to the plow without destroying my lawn.

Thanks again,
Automotive design Grey Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to thank everyone who offered me suggestions of things to try, especially samcarpen. Yesterday I was able to attach the plow to the truck and see if the plow would hold without moving all the way to the left. It turns out a stuck pilot check ball was my problem. As you can see in the pic I posted a few weeks ago, the wrong spring was installed in the check ball bore and the ball was jammed inside the spring coils. With the new, correct parts, I was able to adjust the crossover relief pressure and all works as it should.

This is a great forum! As I mentioned in my first post - I didn't want to just throw parts at it. That is not only expensive, but no way to competently repair equipment - at least not a way to learn how the equipment works. This one post saved me a lot of $$$$$ due to everyone's help. I appreciate the help I received and look forward to helping all in this forum.

Thanks again,

Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.