Meyer E-47 Operation Issue

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by R116, Oct 27, 2019.

1. R116

R116 Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

I am newer to snow plowing and I have an issue that I can't figure out. My plow was raising and lowering ok, but it was really, really struggling to angle left or right.

I read a thread on this site about how to properly flush the system, and I've been following that (lower plow A-frame on blocks, drain fluid, fill with mineral spirits, move blocks out of the way, use plow controls to move plow in all directions, check fluid level, move plow more, then empty and check how dirty the fluid is). I have also replaced the hoses and fittings.

I'm at the step where I have filled the system with mineral spirits, but now the plow struggles to move any direction at all. I can hear the motor running. When I raise the plow it goes really, really slow, but it does lower quickly. The angling is really slow as well, and many times will not work at all. Sometimes it will suddenly angle, but then stop as if something snagged it.

What do you all think is the issue? Pump or motor? Or could it be that having mineral spirits in the system won't allow the system to operate properly?

2. samcarpen

samcarpen Member

Could be binding when you attempt to angle. Raise, connect angle cylinder hoses together. You should be able to manually angle with some effort. Assuming you replaced both pairs of quick connects, did you use the newer pin style or ball style? I've seen newly installed ball style prevent plow from angling. Don't know how running straight mineral oil would affect operation but I would replace with proper hydraulic oil and continue testing.

3. OP
    OP
    R116

R116 Junior Member

I did replace both pairs, and they are the ball type. Whatever is the issue affects straight up as well, but not down.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Is your voltage meter dropping fast when you activate these slow functions.
    I would check/clean all power connections and grounds, make sure your battery is good.

samcarpen likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    R116

R116 Junior Member

I plow for my own residence, so there is a lot that I don't know. I would like to learn though. How do I do the voltage check?

6. samcarpen

samcarpen Member

I would do what Mr.Markus suggested, check/clean all power connections and grounds, make sure your battery is good. Your local auto parts store can usually check battery condition. I would also drain and fill with proper hydraulic fluid.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck should have a battery gauge on the dash. When its running it should read about 14.
    When you activate your plow up or sideways does it drop dramatically?

8. OP
    OP
    R116

R116 Junior Member

It ended up being the mineral spirits. I drained all of that out and put trans-hydraulic fluid in it just to test it out, which solved the issue. So my guess is that my initial problem was from low fluid, then when I replaced the fluid with mineral spirits, it was too thin of a fluid for the plow to properly operate. Seems to be good now. I did notice some air pulsing out of the top reservoir seal, so it looks like I'll need to replace seals.

9. maddison

maddison Junior Member

10. maddison

maddison Junior Member

Try using transmission fluid instead that is what I use and I don't have any problems

Hydromaster likes this.
  11. Mudly

Mudly Senior Member

The only reason most people don’t use tranny fluid is becuase you won’t know what’s leaking.

12. Ledgendary

Ledgendary Junior Member

From my understanding, the viscosity of transmission fluid gets thicker as it gets colder, plus there is no deicer in trans fluid, and you will pick up condensation (water) in your pump and rams. It will take awhile put it will collect. Without deicer, it will separate and freeze.

13. Hydromaster

Hydromaster 2000 Club Member
    from 406

^ Do you know what the cold Pour point is for synthetic ATF +4?
    The viscosity for all hyd fluids change as they get colder.

If moisture can infiltrate your hyd syestem threw the rams hydraulic fluid would be squirting out.

14. samcarpen

samcarpen Member

Moisture usually gets in through the top wiper, expecially as the ram corrodes.

15. Hydromaster

from 406

Still hasn’t made its way into the hydraulic fluid .
    It’s Going to have to pass by the seals on the stinger / the gland. And if water could just pour in past the gland, hydraulic fluid would be squirting out as it’s at over 1000 psi

And if we were using a two way ram and the seals were bad fluid would be squirting out long before water could just flow in from gravity.

16. samcarpen

samcarpen Member

Hmmmm, as the ram lowers, moisture enters the top of the cylinder between the wiper and ram. When the ram is raised, moisture is pushed into the reservoir between the top of the cylinder and the grooved washer that sits on top of the cylinder.

17. Hydromaster

from 406

Hummmm so yer telling me the water sitting on the ram or in a pit pit can pass by the wiper easily into the void .
    And that the gland can’t push the water out past the wiper seal ?
    The hyd area in the ram is under high pressure and none of the hydraulic fluid escapes, but water, that has an easy way out, past the bad wiper seal. But somehow the water enters this area of high pressure on the other side
    Of the gland?

18. Hydromaster

from 406

Do you ever see guys using equipment in the water, with Single acting Rams and or double acting rams?

Every time They move the ram they must be filliing their hydraulic systems with Water.

Just saying, for a friend .

19. samcarpen

samcarpen Member

I'm talking about water getting in through the lift ram, you're discussing the angle cylinders.

20. Hydromaster

from 406

They may look different, construction is the same.