Meyer drive pro getting slow

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by HadiCoop, Jan 23, 2019.

1. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member

When I first started using this plow 3 years ago it was pretty quick up/down & left/right. Been noticing lately that it’s getting a little slow. Wondering what would cause this. Any insight from anyone would be great! Thanks guys!

2. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

How old is your truck battery? Connections all clean and tight? Change the fluid each year?

Sometimes I think it just seems to move slower; I always think that when I use my 11 year old plow the first few times each season, but it’s really moving the same as it always does.

3. OP
    OP
    HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member

Truck battery I think is around 5yrs old, connections are clean, tight and greased. I haven’t changed the fluid in the plow yet. But I was thinking that could be part of the problem along with the battery as it might be older than 5yrs.

But like you say, maybe it is working like it should and always does.

FredG likes this.
  4. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

I generally change my batteries every three years just to be on the safe side; don’t like dealing with a dead battery in a snow storm.

I’d change the battery and see what that does; can’t hurt.

FredG and HadiCoop like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member

Lights definitely dim using the controls when I have fan on high, backup lights & strobe going. Maybe I’ll start with a battery charge. Thanks for the help!

6. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Senior Member

^ ck. batt./ alt. charging. ? not sure if u have a autozone / advance auto they will ck. it free

FredG and HadiCoop like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member

Just an update, replaced battery and everything works great!

Hydromaster, FredG and Avalanche 2500 like this.
  8. iceyman

iceyman PlowSite Veteran

You should probably change the oil while your at it

FredG likes this.
  9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite Veteran

and add a second new battery for reserve, (always need to replace in pairs)

Hydromaster and FredG like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member

I forgot to mention that, I did that this past spring. Oil looked clean just like the new oil I put in.

Hydromaster likes this.
  11. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Good for you, I agree on the oil change tho. Should make it respond better even with the new batteries.

12. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Oil being clean is good, I would still change it. My Lexus after 5K miles the oil still looks new, I still change it. The oil will still break down even if it looks okay. If you did not use it would be a different story.

We change every season, just cheap insurance.

13. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Adding another battery is good as Leo stated. Just make sure they are identical.