Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Registered
6,284 Posts
So which ones better and why?
You're not comparing apples to apples but for the sake of argument there is no right answer. Depending on the application I can see where both have there place.
For example, you are in an are that averages 20" of snow and have a single speed skid that loads salt on a site that allows you to store there. You have $10k in the skid and another $4k for a used box that will see snow 2-3 times per season.
This year its pushed 1 time
Last year 1 time
2016-2017 1 time
All 3 of those years we used it on a couple of dustings not factored into those numbers.

If money was no option the MP would win

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're not comparing apples to apples but for the sake of argument there is no right answer. Depending on the application I can see where both have there place.
For example, you are in an are that averages 20" of snow and have a single speed skid that loads salt on a site that allows you to store there. You have $10k in the skid and another $4k for a used box that will see snow 2-3 times per season.
This year its pushed 1 time
Last year 1 time
2016-2017 1 time
All 3 of those years we used it on a couple of dustings not factored into those numbers.

If money was no option the MP would win
Maybe I should've been more specific - 16ft live edge MP pusher vs 16ft Arctic ......that's apples to apples

· Registered
318 Posts
First season with metal pless here. Previous experience with boss and protec so I can’t speak for artic. I believe artic makes a good product and has 10 times (Wild number)the units in use currently then metal pless. The build quality on both seems above par.

As for our season with metal pless.. 10-15 times out through route on our two units zero break downs. We have a 10-16 on a 908 & 1242 on a 924. Blades have wore in on the back side and maybe a 1/16-1/8 on the front or possibly just rounded a bit(carbide blades both).. cut through light pack like butter. Can push frozen piles like a bull dozer and yes sometimes it is needed. Rolls snow in proper fashion when pushing. Paint holding up so far.
Can contour surfaces beautifully. Honestly I think I will take a while before someone can top the metal pless for pushing quality and durability.

A few annoying things sounds like a tin can clanging with windows open. Price is definitely high so if you only move snow 5-10 a year why not buy used artics or boss.. my 2c my opinion could change if they start falling apart over the next few years. I will keep you posted! Andy⛄

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why? Have you used both or worked around both?

I’ve never even seen anything metal pless in person, I can only speak from working with 16ft arctics on wheel loaders....and the first 2 things that i think of is how well they clean & that they suck in scenarios where trucks and/skids are feeding them

· Registered
7,844 Posts
I could never get my metal pless stuff to peel hard pack anything like a sectional will. And running a sectional right next to a liveedge unit, if anything the sectional scraped cleaner. Apparently AJ Luther and I are the unicorns of the Arctic owners that (almost) never have to change blocks, but if you’ve got to change blocks that often you’re not doing something right.

I sold my MP stuff and every box I own is now a sectional. And I couldn’t be happier with my decision. I’ve got carbide insert edges made for them so we see the edge life that liveedge sees. As we wear out skid shoes I’m switching them to Winter Equipment’s carbide shoes.

To each their own.

· Registered
775 Posts
They scrape equally good, if you like to get things done quickly and don’t want to get out of your machine when it is snowing sideways to change blocks spend the extra dough and buy a MP. If you have a crew of delicate operators that like to take there time, and only get powder fluffy snow, save yourself some money and buy a Arctic

· Registered
15,616 Posts
Maybe I should've been more specific - 16ft live edge MP pusher vs 16ft Arctic ......that's apples to apples
So a Liveboxx correct...? Then they are pretty close I would say... Some like to show they can grade dirt with their Maxxpro and think the pricing is similar to Arctic...

· Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So a Liveboxx correct...? Then they are pretty close I would say... Some like to show they can grade dirt with their Maxxpro and think the pricing is similar to Arctic...
Yes....what's the price difference between the 2? And Doesn't parts availability and dealer support play into this as well? Sounds like MP has next to none in the US?

· Registered
775 Posts
That pic single handily destroys all you Arctic lovers lame comeback of “it’s not meant to be a bulldozer” or “it’s not meant to grade dirt”. Well there is a product out there that is brawny enough to do those things and still scrape just as good if not better then a Arctic

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.