Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one that "hides" my welds with the magic eraser (grinder) ! Looks good, hopefully that will help to avoid issues down the line. And I love that tube stock, its the duct tape of metals !

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Our "fix" did not work.

Have you plowed with yours yet? Has it held up?

Looks like the forks are still spreading up and down, or is that an optical illusion like Jarrett's truck tire falling oof?

· Registered
7,844 Posts
Our "fix" did not work.

Have you plowed with yours yet? Has it held up?

Looks like the forks are still spreading up and down, or is that an optical illusion like Jarrett's truck tire falling oof?
Pretty sure it's securely mounted...or at least a lot more secure than the chitty designed MP bucket mount allows boxes to be mounted. I've got a MP bucket mount here that is doing me absolutely nothing aside from being in my way. I've told Paul to come get it and he never has. Come get it and get it outta my way and you'll have a spare.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Our attempted fix.

Wood Road surface Floor Flooring Asphalt
Wood Asphalt Road surface Composite material Gas

· Registered
58,836 Posts
I'm open to suggestions...

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Pretty sure it's securely mounted...
Like I said...optical illusion.

Or just buy machines that have couplers to begin with...I understand sub units that's not always possible but the difference in wear on the plow and the cleaning ability makes it worth splitting the cost of a coupler with your sub
Great idea, unless he already has the machines.

Called my dealer...they don't stock anything. They're a dealer, but don't stock any parts. :angry::angry::angry::wall::wall::wall:

· Registered
58,836 Posts
That looks to be some seriously thin wall tube... Gussets on the sides for sure but... Doesn't it have the 1/2" plate bottom duck bill like Snowmass...?
We removed the plate because it was spreading-top to bottom. It appear's that Mass' is doing the same thing. That was the thickest walled tube we could get.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
HLA bucket mounts are a lot beefier built than what I see in your pic . Maybe copy them to fix ?
It doesn't take much to be beefier.

· Registered
15,656 Posts
We removed the plate because it was spreading-top to bottom. It appear's that Mass' is doing the same thing. That was the thickest walled tube we could get.
That opening looks so wide to begin with for any bucket... Arctic is big too but I think even the LD bucket mount is 3/4 - 1" plate... Is it so wide that when you curl the bucket it actually curls inside the ducks mouth a little and puts a ton of pressure on that bottom mount... Especially on the end? I'm guessing a MP is alot heavier then an Arctic since it can handle a small nuclear warhead...:rolleyes:

· Registered
7,844 Posts
Like I said...optical illusion.

Great idea, unless he already has the machines.

Called my dealer...they don't stock anything. They're a dealer, but don't stock any parts. :angry::angry::angry::wall::wall::wall:
Look into aftermarket couplers, it might be worth it if you can convince him to split the cost with you.

I'm serious on that mount too. If you want it come get it. If it would help you I could probably be convinced to meet you part way.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bumper Automotive exterior

It's 4" but yes it is tall enough that when you curl the bucket it puts pressure on the bottom and bends it down. That's why I thought tube might be stronger than plate. ProTech uses tube and they don't bend.

It is 3/4" plate OEM.

With no way to gusset it, not sure if there is a way.

I know Ebling did some work on @Herm Witte , just not sure what and how it has held up. I think he's sleeping. Or drinking coffee. Or eating ollie bollen.

· Registered
58,836 Posts

· Registered
2,582 Posts
I'm open to suggestions...
This looks like a classic bending failure, and is most likely caused by the bucket cutting edge being against the top tube and the heel (or at least the bottom) being against the bottom edge. Just like a wishbone.

To fix it you need more area moment of inertia to get the stress down. Sideplates won't help much as they are for transferring shear.

Quick fix, weld some C-channel or tube stock the height of the tube on the outside and/or inside of the existing tube. You could also add a triangular gusset capped with a plate inside the bottom of the opening, since the area below the bucket edge does you no good.

If you want math, the following are needed:

Tube dimensions (LxWxH, wall thickness)
Opening height where the bucket stop is?

· Registered
15,656 Posts
View attachment 190546

It's 4" but yes it is tall enough that when you curl the bucket it puts pressure on the bottom and bends it down. That's why I thought tube might be stronger than plate. ProTech uses tube and they don't bend.

It is 3/4" plate OEM.

With no way to gusset it, not sure if there is a way.

I know Ebling did some work on @Herm Witte , just not sure what and how it has held up. I think he's sleeping. Or drinking coffee. Or eating ollie bollen.
The duck bills also look long amplifying the pressure at that point... And I seriously wonder the weight difference...

· Registered
2,582 Posts
I misunderstood the pictures. I thought the tube was a newer style.

If you took what Jarrett has, just weld some 1/4 strip 2" wide or so on the top and bottom of the lower "ears."

The top would obviously end at the bucket stop. The bottom you could extend until it starts to curve up.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.