Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help and or feedback on growing into a medium duty truck that will be for used exclusively for salt. I have been looking off and on and Im ready to pull the trigger. I know, bad timing but it is what it is. I have been leaning hard towards an International like a 4700 with DT466. My mechanic said they are great trucks and engines and the searches Ive done say the same. Any suggestions as to any for sale or where to look? Ive been searching the net and some auction sites but little luck so far. here is one I just missed out on but I want an automatic transmission but the short wheelbase would be ideal. Ill include a pic as to what I'm thinking of. Thanks!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Not sure what the issues are with the Maxforce but I’ve heard the same. Thanks for the air brakes info as well. If you only think the international is ok what would you recommend?
I fix this stuff for a living so, well they all are just, soo to me. If you find something to possibly purchase, post it and we will give you our opinions on it.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Looking for help and or feedback on growing into a medium duty truck that will be for used exclusively for salt. I have been looking off and on and Im ready to pull the trigger. I know, bad timing but it is what it is. I have been leaning hard towards an International like a 4700 with DT466. My mechanic said they are great trucks and engines and the searches Ive done say the same. Any suggestions as to any for sale or where to look? Ive been searching the net and some auction sites but little luck so far. here is one I just missed out on but I want an automatic transmission but the short wheelbase would be ideal. Ill include a pic as to what I'm thinking of. Thanks! View attachment 258346 View attachment 258346
Do you have a CDL or are looking for something that’s under 26,000 gvw. I think almost anything that has air brakes will require a CDL, there are a few exceptions.

·
Registered
58,558 Posts
No I currently don’t have any endorsements other than a regular drivers license.
Stay away from 650/750s that are derated to 26,000.

Have you checked Marketplace? Seems like there's usually a couple on there.

Randall is 1,000% right about air brakes and if it's under 26k you don't need a CDL.

Maxxforce has all the emissions $hit...that's the problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stay away from 650/750s that are derated to 26,000.

Have you checked Marketplace? Seems like there's usually a couple on there.

Randall is 1,000% right about air brakes and if it's under 26k you don't need a CDL.

Maxxforce has all the emissions $hit...that's the problem.
I was guessing emissions were the issue as they are on most newer diesels but wasn’t sure. What do you mean as far as the 650/750’s? You mean like the Chevy/GMC 6500/7500’s

·
Registered
58,558 Posts
No, just Furds. I have one and it's had a lot of nickel and dime crap.

·
Registered
58,558 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
We have a 4700 with a DT466. It’s a great work truck. They made lots of these units so finding one for sale shouldn’t be too hard. There is a couple hundred for sale right now at truckpaper. Com.

ours has juice brakes. It’s true that on a truck this size air brakes would be nice but the hydraulic brakes have never really left us wanting more, they’ve always worked just fine, and we’ll gross out around 20-28k depending on what we are hauling. I wouldn’t let that be a deal breaker if the truck has everything else you want.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have a 4700 with a DT466. It’s a great work truck. They made lots of these units so finding one for sale shouldn’t be too hard. There is a couple hundred for sale right now at truckpaper. Com.

ours has juice brakes. It’s true that on a truck this size air brakes would be nice but the hydraulic brakes have never really left us wanting more, they’ve always worked just fine, and we’ll gross out around 20-28k depending on what we are hauling. I wouldn’t let that be a deal breaker if the truck has everything else you want.
thanks for the reply!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts