1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Magnetic Mount Trouble

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by fishinRI13, Dec 16, 2016.

1. fishinRI13

fishinRI13 Senior Member
    from RI

I have a One of the smaller Whelen light bars with the magnetic mounts, love the light, but need to find a way to keep it from scratching the hell out of the roof of my truck. The magnetic mounts don't have any rubber feet in the or anything, and I'm worried putting something between the magnet and the roof will increase the odds of it falling off. I'm aware of the Acari thing that goes in the third brake light and not a big fan of paying that much. Have any of you guys done something on your own to solve this type of issue? I don't want it hardwired because I take it off after plow season and put it away. Thanks for the help in advance

2. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Senior Member

What about putting a small dam of clear silicone on the front and rear of each magent, not under them but on the edges to make a shoulder?

3. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Member

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Blue tape......

I put a magnetic light on aluminum truck.....and it doesn't move, and I should add it has no other assistance other than magnets.

5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

they have a clear vinyl that goes under the magnets can get some at any fabric shop

6. CraigH

CraigH Junior Member

Use the tool dip plastic to coat the magnet. Works great!

7. leigh

leigh 2000 Club Member
    from CT

I put some duct tape on roof,that way no dirt gets between magnets and paint.

8. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Star Warning Systems uses / offers round black plastic stick on pads that adhere to the bottom side of the magnets. I've used them for years and they do a great job of protecting the paint where the magnets adhere. I've never had an issue with a light blowing off with them either. I believe there are two sizes - one for their small diameter magnets and one for the larger ones. You can call their Customer Service Department in Avon, NY at (585) 226-9500 and ask about them.

9. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

Are you referring to the liquid dip material, I thought that would be too much of a build up and prevent the magnet from sticking to the truck.

10. CraigH

CraigH Junior Member

Yes, but I brushed it on two thin layers vs dipping it.

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

I got a backrack and mounted them there.

12. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

I'm going to give it a try.

13. CraigH

CraigH Junior Member

Did it work?

14. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

sure did

15. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

go to www.priority1emergency.com they have rubber boots for ONLY 90LB pull magenets I have 4 of them still have them 10 yrs later ... there on their website 4 for 10 bucks