1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Ma medical cards

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mpgall26, Jun 2, 2012.

  1. mpgall26

    mpgall26 Senior Member
    Messages: 228

    Realizing this is not an uncommon question here, does anyone driving a 1 ton in Ma get (or really need) a medical card. I have 3/4 ton and today registered a new 3500. First time a registry person advised me unsolicted to get commerial inspection (old owner has a regular passenger inspection on it from last year)
    Between DOT# and medical card there is no crystal clear info and I don't get how I'm liable yet nobody at RMV can answer any questions other than inspection sticker, if they don't know then what the hell.
    I found this which looks pretty clear, I hope i'm wrong. How the hell do I get a guy to drive with a medical card requirement? A good driver is hard to find without one.
  2. tuney443

    tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,847

    I would go to the Ma. DOT website or speak to a SUPERVISOR at DOT.I don't think you need one as FMCSA regs have you needing one at 26,001 lbs. registered weight which is what most, if not all states go by.Ma.might be different,not sure.
  3. Banksy

    Banksy PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 3,113

    My buddy owns a landscaping business in MA and runs F350's and F450's. He has a med card.
  4. RLM

    RLM PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,270

    I have nears in NY (Where I live), you need one if DOT # us on truck, I haven't bothered but luckily haven't been through a DOT checkpoint to be" told" either, for sure then I would go get one before my appointment to discuss it with the DA. It's tough to get straight answers with regards to the DOT regs & the smaller trucks, anything over 26K is easy, it's the "newer" regulations.
  5. basher

    basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707
    Messages: 8,993

    Anything commercial over 10,000 GVW requires a Medical card.
  6. tuney443

    tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,847

    My bad.Sorry,as Basher is correct.However,not complaining,but I have no idea why I have never been asked to produce mine and as an excavator who hauls heavy loads and routinely gets the luxury of non lubed inspections,it just makes no sense.
  7. jhenderson9196

    jhenderson9196 Senior Member
    Messages: 615

    Could be worse. Here in RI, we now have to take time out of work to present our new med cert at the DMV. Every 2 years, or have your lic pulled.
  8. winged1dur

    winged1dur Senior Member
    Messages: 124

    Over 10,000 lbs. you need a medical card, as Basher said. If you go out of state you will need a DOT # and travel log. From my experience even state troopers in both MA and NH don't know the specific regulations like these but the State police "truck teams" do and go out of their way looking for violators.
  9. Bandit

    Bandit Senior Member
    Messages: 146

    I hadn't heard of the Nh. state troopers out busting anyone , but stay away from the Rt 1A & Rt 140 area of Wrentham . ( or any place Chin hangs out )
    It is All in the Interpretation of the Officer Stopping You .
    Ex. A ladder rack on a pick-up ? Thats Commercial Use , needs commercial plates .
    A 10,000 # trailer built with Two 7500 # Heavy Duty axles ? that should be Registered for 14,000 # ( impounded for avoiding Fees ) ETC. ( Chin Again )
    A Dually ? There over 10,001 , In Mass. You need Commercial plates Now ( along with the $ 129 Commercial Inspection and all it's requirements )
    Directly from the Horses ?
    And as usual State and Municipal Employees are EXEMPT
    And an Insurance Company Defines Mass. Definition of the Law
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  10. basher

    basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707
    Messages: 8,993

    Requirements by state

  11. tuna

    tuna Senior Member
    Messages: 488

    At least you don`t have Sgt. McGonnell in Lynnfield anymore,he was a *****.
  12. justme-

    justme- 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,138

    Hate to be the spoil sport, but it's not interpretation, it's knowing and enforcing the law. Chin isn't the only one.
    If the truck weighs GVWR over 10K, it is required by law in MA to be commercially registered - period. That means Duellys are commercial registrations - one reason I ultimately decided to get rid of my dump.
    Driving a vehicle registered commercially you need a med card - period.

    Hauling a race car back from Epping that you were just running - there is price money involved and by definition and law that is a commercial endevour (money involved - racing with no prize money involved is different) and thus you need to have the tow vehicle registered commercially, and if the combination weighs in excess of 26K, you need a class A commercial license.

    Hate when guys blame the cops for enforcing the law - can they be selective, yes at times. It's still your responsibility to know and follow the law. Just cause you don't think it's right that you have to, or that cop A doesn't seem to bust people for it as much as cop B doesn't change the fact that the law is the law. If you don't like the law, contact your elected officials and try working to get the law changed - that's what they are there for.

    Trailers weighing over a certain amount (10K again I think) re required to have a DOT inspection annually also as of a couple years back.
  13. winged1dur

    winged1dur Senior Member
    Messages: 124

    You got that right!
  14. jhenderson9196

    jhenderson9196 Senior Member
    Messages: 615

    Every state seems to have at least one over zealous officer. We had one here( Rhode Island) who took to writing tickets for empty windshield washer jugs (over $100) or non existent oil leaks when he couldn't find any legit problems. Yes I know washer fluid res should be full, but to write someone up for that on the first offense is over the line in my opinion.
  15. basher

    basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707
    Messages: 8,993

    The axle tubes alone do not signify the capacity of the axle. That is determined by the capacity of the axle assembly. 3" diameter axles can be rated as high as 7K with the proper springs/bearings/hubs/brakes/wheels/tires. So while the band may list the axle beam as a 7K capacity in fact the assembly could be rated at 5K.

    I would not argue with the ticketing officer, that would just invite abuse. I would contest it in court if it was they were in fact 5K rated assemblies and the trailers MSO information an/or serial plate listed it at 10K from the manufacturer.

    Oh, wouldn't that be 15K?
  16. truckitup

    truckitup Senior Member
    Messages: 259

    State DOT laws will over ride FMC laws if they are stricter. You 1st need to define if your vehicle is, defined as a commercial vehicle, if it is you need a DOT medical card, and a CDL. In state or out of state. We all do this for money so you would fall under the FMC laws. Most states use the FMC as a guide. Not to say the do not have there own laws, that you must go by. If you stay in state you would fall under Interstate, if you go out of state you fall under intrastate regulations.

    FMC 383.91 Vehicle Groups and endorsements.

    Combination vehicle (group A)

    Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of (26001) or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of (10,000) pounds. You need a CDL A with a medical card. So if you have a F550 with a GVWR of 16,000 LBS and a trailer with a loader on it over 10,000 you will need a CDL A. with a 5x10 trailer weighing 5,000 pounds you do not need a CDL or Card.

    Heavy Straight vehicle. (Group b)

    Any single vehicle with a GVWR of more then (26,001) pounds or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of (10,000) pounds GVWR.

    This would be your big dump trucks, with salters. CDL class B. Hook anything to it and you will need a CDL class A Both will need a medical card.

    Small Vehicle group (Group C)

    Any single vehicle or Combination or vehicles that meet neither the definition of Group A nor B. But neither is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver or is used in the transport of materials to be Hazardous.
    So you just need to make sure your Combination GVWR is under (26,001) pounds or the driver needs a CDL A and a Medical card. If you have a F350 with a GVWR of 10,000 and the trailer GVWR is 9,999 lbs you do not need a CDL or a medical card. The GVWR of the truck and trailer will determine weather you need a CDL or medical card.

    I have my CDL class A so I always have to have my medical card up to date. driving anything to include my car. Yes my car, we are on a new DOT system called CSA 2010 where you (the driver) and you (the company) are on a point system. If I get pulled over in my 2500 HD and the trooper will see that have a CDL he can ask for my Medical card, if it is out of date he can give me a ticket for that. That will go on the new system. When you get pulled over on a DOT stop and they give you tickets that also will go on you company’s CSA score, too many points and you will get a letter to tell you they may come audit you $$$$$. So be safe out there if you vehicle falls under the Commercial Vehicle make sure you the driver has the correct CDL and medical card.

    Any Questions please let me know. I was a Transportation Manager for over 15 years ran over 100 tractors and 2,000 trailers and have been tough it all, from training to audits to driver qualifications and all record keeping, to include logs. My email is ssteinfeldt@yahoo.com Have a safe day.
  17. jhenderson9196

    jhenderson9196 Senior Member
    Messages: 615

    Interstate- between 2 or more states. Intrastate- operating in home state only.
  18. PlowboyVT

    PlowboyVT Member
    from VT
    Messages: 67

    Vermont doesn't have a commercial plate or reg.. So, my ? is, do I need dot number's and a medical card to bring my f-350 dump (13000gvw} and trailer (12000gvw) into Mass? I am cutting some trees for a good friend and would like to bring my tractor with forks and winch. No $ involved except some $ for fuel. The truck is reg. to me, not a business, but my insurance card is commercial for plowing here.
  19. Bandit

    Bandit Senior Member
    Messages: 146

    I would say No , because it should be based on the state of registration .
    Here in Mass. if I buy a 10,500 # GVW Dumping Trailer ,to tow behind My P/U , I need a Class 1 ( A ) Lic. to drive it .
    If I register the Truck in Nh. and the trailer in Me.
    You can drive all over the country for Me ( Even in Mass.) with a class 3 ( C ) Lic. as Long as You don't go Over 26,000 # Total . ussmileyflag
  20. Bandit

    Bandit Senior Member
    Messages: 146

    " Trailers weighing over a certain amount (10K again I think) re required to have a DOT inspection annually also as of a couple years back. "

    (d) A single, full or semi-trailer, used in commerce, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle
    weight rating over 3,000 lbs; or

    Taken From Here