1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

MA commercial Insurance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scooper87, Nov 12, 2010.

  1. scooper87

    scooper87 Member
    Messages: 54

    Finally am going out and getting my own truck instead of running one for someone. Wanted to know what I should carry for insurance in MA if I am working for another contractor? Other thing was commercial plates.....Do I need to register the truck under a business in order to get the commercial plates. Truck is an F350 dump 7.3L diesel...
  2. johnslawn

    johnslawn Member
    from ma
    Messages: 90

    Scoop, f350 dump prob dual rear wheels. Mass forces you to register commercial.6 tires or over 10,000 pounds. no need to declare business.insurance will cover plowing rider. as for insurance for contracting,, I don't know.
  3. scooper87

    scooper87 Member
    Messages: 54

    Thanks John, Yea i got in touch with my isurance guy and he said theres no issues. I dont have to carry and GL because the guys I work for have my truck listed under it. They quoted me right around $750 for the year which is a great deal for a commercial policy.
  4. PPP

    PPP Member
    Messages: 95

    Just remember with a truck that size you are going to have to pass a DOT inspection and have everything that is required like chock blocks, fire ext, and many other items you may not think of. You also will need to get a Medical Examiners Certificate because the GVW is over 10k. You'll need a CDL only if you should pull any large trailers (can put you over CDL GVW) and you'll need to have DOT numbers which are free should you ever take the truck out of state. Have you considered the states SR (snow removal) plates that run September to September. I have an F-250 and a F450. The F-450 gets pulled over all the time for weight and they try to catch things all the time and yet I've received no fines for being in compliance. It's to easy for State Police to target DRW vehicles for DOT compliance as well as the driver being in compliance.
  5. scooper87

    scooper87 Member
    Messages: 54

    Thats what I am putting on the truck is the SR plates, I have my DOT card and plan on having the truck DOT inspected because it is going to be running a sander on it as well. Theres a set on it right now from the previous owners but I still need to get my list of what I need to put in the truck together. Thanks guys for the good advice. If theres anything else anyone can think I should be aware of please let me know guys thanks
  6. johnslawn

    johnslawn Member
    from ma
    Messages: 90

    my truck is registered just under my name. not a business. I have spoke to several State troopers about dot # and lettering/name on truck. Told me not needed if personal truck. ? ? Not 100% sure.

    Ask someone about inspection fee's. They might vary. I have used the same guy for years, $75 and forget to ask if that is true.
  7. 02powerstroke

    02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,188

    I run in MA I have commercial plates the commercial inspection sticker($75) trucks lettered, and I carry a $500,000 single combined limit commercial auto policy.
  8. mansf123

    mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass
    Messages: 817

    I need to get my truck registerd as commercial. Is the inspection proccess the same for snow removal plates? Also what do i need in my truck to pass? I know blocks, fire extinguisher...