Snow Plowing Forum banner

lot design

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Tim1075 
#1 ·
I was going to reply to another post where yardworks mentioned how a townhouse had it's gutters designed so the water ran into the lot, but we were gettting too far off the thread.
Anyway here's my beef

You would think that engineers and architects whose only goal seems to be to make a lot look pretty would wake up to the fact that sometimes it snows, and
(a) you have to have a place to put the snow
(b) that melting snow makes water and freezing water makes ice
(c) and square curbing is hard to get a plow over without damaging the curb or plow.

Let's have a contest to see if some bright engineering student can design a plow friendly curb!

Bill

#2 ·
I plow for some property maintmance COs and people who have many different lots.

When the build a new lot, we are often consulted about how it would impact snow removel. Had input on 2 new lots, and renovation on 2 in the past year.

Granted I do make a dime on the time I spend consulting, however it increases my profits.

Geoff

#3 ·
Local zoning (in place since the early 60s) specifies the amount of open (unpaved, uncovered) land required, ex. it may be 25% of the lot must be lawn or beds, x number of parking spots per 1000 sq ft of building area, etc this way the powers that be ensure theres always some sort of buffer, be it for snow, parking, runoff etc.

#4 ·
One of our major complex owners let me go around this summer and specify curbing that I wanted ground and then they were ground like a driveway approach,pretty forward thinking of them.They also asked for places on some of the new buildings to have the same type of thing done.We only do this in apt complexes where ther is no were to put snow,everywhere else it is our policy that the snow remains on the lot.

#5 ·
Another beef of mine. Give me some room to work. These same townhouses put retaining walls right across from the drives going into garages. The people living in these places have a hard time getting in and out of some garages, so just imagine how much fun it is for me to backdrag these with a full size extended cab with plow. Very frustrating. Then the project manager planted about 30 pine trees about 3 feet from the access road and directly across from a driveway. Again I don't have enough room to backdrag.

#6 ·
The reason I bought my first V plow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.