Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Boss 8'6" straight blade on an 02 f350. The round bar that had the lights on it fell off a few years ago, so we welded on a piece of C-channel that runs across the frame and has the lights mounted to it.

I'm just tired of paying $200-$300 every 2 years for plow lights that just snap off while I'm plowing. I plow pretty aggressively, but I am safe while doing so. I found these: https://arrowsafetydevice.com/colle...lights-polymer-housing-polycarbonate-lens-12v

Anybody have any input on these? If I can get 2+ years out of these, I'd be more than happy. I was thinking about getting them and then upgrading the light in them.

· Registered
15,308 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't trying to brag or sound cool or anything... I guess it's just the way that I plow. I obviously try to avoid any damage/hitting anything. Usually what happens is I will bump a curb or a crack in the pavement and the light will just break and fall off of the bar. Time is money. This is the same for all of my trucks, no matter who is driving them. I think the most that I've gotten out of a set of lights on any of the trucks is 3 years, but it was used as a spare.

· Registered
15,308 Posts
They have some odd looking ones. Have you ever used them? How's the light output?
Theres a tubeyou vid on them, quite interesting
I still use the western rectangle ones, like 8 years and no problems, commercial plowing all the time

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
They have some odd looking ones. Have you ever used them? How's the light output?
@Mark Oomkes has them and said they work well. But if $200-300 scares you, the price of those Trucklite LEDs will damn near give you a heart attack

Trucklite makes a generic set with the H6545 sealed beams, part # 80888. The output is going to be pretty crappy compared to what you are used to, but you should be able to pick up a set for around $100 and you can swap them out when you break them with 1 nut and a single plug in connector

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not that $200-$300 scares me, it just irritates me that they only last a few years. I'd love to make some in aluminum or stainless housings. I don't really care how they look, as long as they're bright and they last long. I did see that a set of the Trucklite ones were $750 ish. That is a little pricey "just to see" if they will last and if they have good output. I'm thinking about trying the ones in the link that I posted. If I can get 2+ seasons out of $80 lights, I'd be more than happy. If not, I will go back to the crappy ones that you posted. I have those on a few of the trucks, and you're completely correct on the output. LOL

· Registered
6,904 Posts
Try taking a piece of rubber about 3/8” thick or so and cut it for a washer. Install it to absorb some of the shock/vibration. Don’t over tighten. Can’t hurt to try it!

Reactions: Mudly

· Registered
60,321 Posts
If you're going the Trucklite route, get the rectangular ones, light output and pattern is far better than the round ones.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...urlRequestType=Base&langId=-1&catalogId=10002

They're better than halogen, but if you're spending the money, might as well do it right.

I have\had several sets of both styles for 3-4 years now. No breakage.

But in all reality, the Boss SL3s are far better than the trucklites. Heated and the pattern is broader and deeper. 1 set is going on year #2, the other is on year #3.

Might even help you see SFB riding their bikes in a snowstorm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.