Looking for reputable crate engine

StangDude

Like so many others on this board, my 85 Chevy 4x4 350, auto has developed a low oil pressure condition (about 127k miles). I am leaning toward doing a crate engine replacement rather than a machine shop rebuild. Does anyone know of a reputible supplier they could recommend? Obviously I could go with a GM replacement, but figure that would be a lot more money than an aftermarket rebuild shop. Anyone have an opinion that may have gone through this before?
Thanks in advance.

Alan

PlowSite.com Addict
Don't be too quick to assume that a GM engine is going to be more money. I've done two over the years and the Goodwrench engine was comparably priced to a commercial rebuild and was all new. You're in MA, check with Alderman Chevrolet in Rutland, VT. They have usually killer prices on new GM engines.

I just called them to inquire about a TBI 350 for one of our trucks. Bare engine is 2105, not as good as I thought.

Chuck Smith

2000 Club Member
Check out Jasper. I have one (350) in my 80 GMC. Go to their site and look for a local dealer. VERY reputable rebuilder, out of Jasper, Indiana.

http://www.jasperengines.com/

(For what it's worth, I got a long block from them 4 years ago, at "shop cost", through a friend, which was $954.00)

~Chuck

Top Forums