Snow Plowing Forum banner

Looking for plowing tips

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Dogplow Dodge 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum and looking for some plowing trick and techniques. I have read thru all 41 pages of the jeep forums.

I currently have a 72 CJ 5 with a 304-3 speed manual. I believe it is a 7ft meyer plow. I have not seen another like it on any other jeeps. I currently have about 900 lbs of sand in the back.

I only plow my drive way at my cabin in Northern Michigan.

I would like to know if I have too much weight in the back?

I am thinking of going with tire chains to help with traction. Thoughts?

This pic is before adding any weight. Now it is level when the blade is lifted.

Thanks for the help

PJ

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Should be good with that amount.
More is gooder....up to a point tho.

Have you plowed with the weight yet?

#4 ·
You might want to look into skinnier tires.
Looks like they are on the wider side.

#7 ·
32vld;2104396 said:
Instead of 900 lbs of ballast how about being it is only your own driveway why not just go out every 2 inches and plow with the storm.
You understand the concept of ballast is to offset the weight of the blade right?

Something as light as a jeep, I can say that I would never think of not having ballast for shear safety reasons.

#8 ·
I used to plow with the same set up . Never put that much weight in it though.Had skinny snow tires on it and it would do the same thing , Jeep would push sideways off the pile . Best bet is to plow with the storm if possible . Chains on all four would help . Miss that old jeep .

#10 ·
Narrow tire's like a 7.50-15 with an aggressive tread will be a huge help. The CJ being light to begin with the wider tire are killing you, keep the ballast in it.
If you chain up the tires you have on it be aware the Dana 30 is a small diff and the 304 under the hood will start snapping half shafts in the diff and you could also snap the front drive shaft if you're not careful.

#11 ·
900 lbs ???

Wow !

I have a 3/4 ton diesel dodge, and I only run 500 lbs in the back. IMO, you're way over the capacity of that vehicle and are asking for breakage issues from all that beef in the back.

Or maybe those older jeeps are tougher than I would imagine wesportwesport

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.