Looking for guidance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Radake's Lawn Servie, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Radake's Lawn Servie

Radake's Lawn Servie Junior Member

Possibly getting into plowing this season. I currently have a 2010 F-150 and I am just wondering if the truck would work to get my feet wet? I've heard that purchasing a used plow truck isn't exactly the best way to go since I wouldn't know exactly how the truck has been ran. The few customer I do have just have small lots that would need cleaned. Just looking for help from experienced folks.

Thanks in advanced.

2. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

Never had luck with a truck that had a plow on it. I have mounted every single plow after that lesson!

If you can find something to fit the 150 it would be fine for smaller work loads. Better than no plow.

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

Couple things to be sure of since it looks as though you do lawn care,
    Make sure your
    Truck can handle a plow, there was a few years of the f150 that had electronic steering and it was difficult to find an installer that would put his name on it along with a plow,
    Be sure your insurance will cover you, many companies won’t, be sure you can schedule the time that it takes, no vacations unless you have a backup, make friends, if your truck goes down, better have someone you can call so your clients don’t have to.

And lastly, don’t have your clients pre pay you only to not show up.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  4. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth PlowSite.com Addict

You signed contracts to plow lots without anything to do the work with?

5. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

You buy a plow truck from a minici where you possibly know someone or if not would be okay. I bought 5 trucks with plows on them, had no more trouble than anybody else. Did not plow.
    https://www.auctionsinternational.c...2-chevy-silverado-3500-hd-pickup-truck-120109

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

What is wrong with that?

7. Philbilly2

Make sure the insurance end is covered before you even go any further would be my advise.

You may find that if it don't make dollars... it don't make sense.

8. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Why buy the equipment if your not awarded any contracts. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Mudly and Philbilly2 like this.
  9. FredG

FredG PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a truck, you do need to be insured for your own benefit. Worst comes to worst you can sit at a busy convenience store and do driveways.

PITA when your busy and taking a break for coffee and they storm your truck and you have a full route. You would be surprised the people that are not prepared for a snowfall.

10. Philbilly2

My point exactly. I bid work all the time that we do not have any of the tools/ machines/ experience to do the work.

If I get awarded the work, buy or rent the tools/ equipment needed.

Then I go on u tube university and become an overnite expert at it! :dizzy:

cjames808 and Hydromaster like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Radake's Lawn Servie

Yes I did. I can always sub out if I don't buy the equipment. I have done this in the past

12. OP
    OP
    Radake's Lawn Servie

Thank you for the insight. Very helpful.

13. OP
    OP
    Radake's Lawn Servie

Thanks for the input. I've had people tell me there's no way they'd every plow with a 1/2 ton. Put plow sales have told me they put them on 1/2 tons often enough to feel safe saying its ok.

14. Freshwater

Freshwater PlowSite Veteran

My first truck was a half ton.
    Plowed with it for my first year.
    Every other time I went out something broke.
    It didnt snow much at all that year.
    To this day I thank my lucky stars that it didnt.

However I put a little plow on a cousins dakota, and it's been bullet proof for a couple years now.