Looking for another billing option??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Elite Snow Removal, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Elite Snow Removal

Elite Snow Removal Senior Member
    from ND

right now I mail my statements right after I’m done moving snow or within a day or two. The problem seems to be if it snows a few days later and I send another bill. Then some ppl kind of get confused. I will just add a picture of how I would put multiple snowfalls. Here is an example of how I would do it. Just want it to be simple for everyone. Gets expensive buying stamps all the time to. A lot of the ppl are old and don’t have email so I feel a bill in the mail is the only option. What do you think? Thanks

1964AEC6-779A-477B-BC3F-5BEFC835E3F5.jpeg

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

If they are old, and no email, or anything of the like. I think what you have is it.

3. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

You might want to add a description specifying that the date given is the date of service rendered as opposed to just a billing date for clarity

4. OP
    OP
    Elite Snow Removal

from ND

Right. But how do you send your out? Weekly monthly or what. Just looking for a more cost effective option I guess. If I wait till the end of the month and it snows say 5 times and now there bill is $500 and they can’t afford to pay the full amount it doesn’t do me any good either. I like to get paid as soon as possible

5. OP
    OP
    Elite Snow Removal

from ND

Yea I guess I put the date of service and at the top and bottom of page is the statement date.

6. Randall Ave

My snow invoices are mostly municipal. Much more detail. My other line of work, vehicle repair, every time a repair is performed, it's a separate event. If I perform 30 repairs for a customer in a month, it's 30 invoices, 30 purchase orders. End of month statement. And we all want to get paid right away. But that's becoming more of a fantasy. Tell everyone you can your going electronic billing. Most old people do use internet, email nowadays.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My per visit clients get billed once a month, the heading is Snow Plowing Services, or Salt/Sanding Services.
    Description is Month of January with the service dates.. Say January 2,5,7,11 etc 2017. Count them up, that's your unit #, and $50 unit price. QuickBooks does the math and adds the tax.
    You shouldnt worry about their finances, you agreed on a price, you serviced them. Get paid for what you do...

8. Randall Ave

In some ways that's why I like municipal work. It's two months, possibly more to get paid. But you know it's coming, at the invoice amount.

Mr.Markus likes this.
  9. Mr.Markus

I should probably add that I used to send out stacks of mail every month.
    Im down to about 9 clients that get snail mail and still pay me with a cheque.
    Everyone else is now email and e-transfers which I was skeptical about but have come to love.

bigplow23 and EWSplow like this.
  10. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

I do the same thing. Invoice monthly showing service dates and I include the amount of snow 2", 4", etc. There's no question as to why the higher cost on dates with more snow.
    Invoices have the property address on the heading and get emailed. Most of my clients have multiple properties.
    Most send a check. Some pay via e-transfer.
    If the invoices aren't paid in 30 days, they get a statement showing 1% monthly fee added to the pre

11. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

Accidentally sent.
    1% monthly fee added to the previous invoice. I also inform them service will be suspended until paid.

12. Mr.Markus

The right residential work is key, I have customers that treat me like a lawn jockey, they pay on the 30th day just to take advantage of every day. The big ones, that are never around pay by e transfer within a day of invoicing. I print all my invoices, and a have 1 customer that pays her invoice by e transfer before the printer has stopped and she lives most of the time in New York.

13. Randall Ave

That's not bad. I'm servicing trailers today. Might get paid in time for Thanksgiving.

14. Mr.Markus

Our Thanksgiving is 1st week October...

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  15. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

Curious, since she lives out of the country, does your bank charge you a conversion of currency fee, and if so do you calculate that in your original invoice

16. Mr.Markus

She uses her Canadian account. So no.
    E transfer is separate from the banks apparently.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Couple options...prepay say for 5 pushes. You have your money and don't have to send out invoices for the first 5 times.

Invoice bi-weekly.

Invoice monthly.

If they don't have enough money to pay for 1 big bill, aren't they going to be short for 2 or 3 smaller invoices that come to the same total?

Why is that your problem? Or you have the wrong customers.

Philbilly2 and EWSplow like this.
  18. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

I was thinking this but didn't want to say it. I was trying to figure out if most of his customers routinely have people come out to do work for them without any concept of what they are going to pay for it or how they will pay for it.

If someone plowing your driveway three times breaks the bank for you, maybe they should invest in a shovel and some Wheaties for breakfast.

yardsmith and EWSplow like this.
  19. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

We usually invoice monthly for residential. If they are more $ per plow, then ask them. Offer weekly billing, 2x a month, etc. Ask them what works for them. The problem with billing too often is things can get mixed up by invoices & checks coming & going, crossing in the mail, esp if they don't notate the invoice # in the memo.

Elite Snow Removal likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Elite Snow Removal

from ND

So how do you do e-transfer? The bank obviously has to set that up but how does it work? You click on ms. Jones name and enter the amount owed and push send?