Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys km new to the these fourm site lol. So work with me. So I'm looking to out a plow on my 02 150. I usually go to a guy near me who sells Fisher plows and everything you need to hook them up. Well I'm trying to save money by picking up a plow from someone else, that I can get cheaper(fixer upper). And get the push plates wiring contoller all that jazz. My question is he has 3 prong plug set ups for the truck side. What Fisher plow can I buy? Only 1/2 ton so I'm only putting on 7'6" straight blade. Any info would be great! I'm also new to these new plow systems so forgive lol.

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
I'm not entirely following your question. You are looking to buy a used plow from someone else to install on your truck or you are trying to buy used parts for your truck and then find a plow to match those pieces?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I didn't fully explain the situation. I'm buying everything. The guy I go to has everthing I need plow wiring both sides all of it. He wants 2300 for package deal not bad. It's a mm1 I do believe. But I want to save cause the plow he is asking 1400 for. I've seen other plow's for way less. Well I'll be buying the pushplates wiring all that off the guy I know. He has the 3 prong controller and what not. So I want to know what plow system can I buy that is compatible with the wiring he has.

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
Any 7.5' 3 plug MM2 would work on the F150 - but let's back up a step.

How much would you be paying for the used vehicle pieces and are you 100% sure that the stuff you'd be buying will work on your truck?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any 7.5' 3 plug MM2 would work on the F150 - but let's back up a step.

How much would you be paying for the used vehicle pieces and are you 100% sure that the stuff you'd be buying will work on your truck?
Yes I'm sure, he does nothing but buy and sell Fisher plow parts. He also is a junk yard to. Old timer that knows he's stuff for sure. He's asking 900 for everything I need on truck side. And ye told me to just make sure I get a 3 prong plug system on the plow side. So I wasn't entirely sure on what he meant at first. So I wasn't sure what my choices were on buying the plow off someone else cause I've seen a lot of mm1 and 2's for 500 to 900 in decent shape.

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
Yes I'm sure, he does nothing but buy and sell Fisher plow parts. He also is a junk yard to. Old timer that knows he's stuff for sure. He's asking 900 for everything I need on truck side. And ye told me to just make sure I get a 3 prong plug system on the plow side. So I wasn't entirely sure on what he meant at first. So I wasn't sure what my choices were on buying the plow off someone else cause I've seen a lot of mm1 and 2's for 500 to 900 in decent shape.
$900 with the controller is not a bad price used for all vehicle pieces.

I'd be careful buying a used $500 plow if you are not familiar with what to look for - if you are seeing a lot of "decent" $500 plows, they probably aren't really decent. If you aren't sure, feel free to post some photos or a link on here for people to weigh in with their opinions. A $1400 plow from a reputable source may be better than a $900 from a questionable one. No MM1 should be $1,400 at this point though.

Any MM1 is likely to be a 2 plug so you'd have to throw about $250 in wiring at it to make it compatible with the truck parts you'd be buying. And keep in mind that any MM1 plow is at least 20 years old at this point. Though a MM2 could still be 19 years old as well, so being a MM2 does not guarantee it's new

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$900 with the controller is not a bad price used for all vehicle pieces.

I'd be careful buying a used $500 plow if you are not familiar with what to look for - if you are seeing a lot of "decent" $500 plows, they probably aren't really decent. If you aren't sure, feel free to post some photos or a link on here for people to weigh in with their opinions. A $1400 plow from a reputable source may be better than a $900 from a questionable one. No MM1 should be $1,400 at this point though.

Any MM1 is likely to be a 2 plug so you'd have to throw about $250 in wiring at it to make it compatible with the truck parts you'd be buying. And keep in mind that any MM1 plow is at least 20 years old at this point. Though a MM2 could still be 19 years old as well, so being a MM2 does not guarantee it's new
That's great info I really appreciate your help. This is very helpful. I could be wrong on it being a mm1 I'm going to call him now to double check on that. And no I'm new to the newer plow system's I've been running my 79 f250 with the old speed cast pump undr the hood style. Might be old but man reliable. If you didn't mind could you tell me what I should be looking for when buying used plows. I am mechanically inclined so not completely new to working on things lol. But if I go that route I will post pics that's great to have some help on this. Thanks again.

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
Badly worn cutting that will need to be replaced, bent trip edge, worn aframe, badly pitted cylinders, ideally you'd want to see if working, cuts/slices in wiring, suspicious signs of non factory welding, moldboard condition/rot, bent moldboard, rotted/cancerous light tower

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In general, newer is better of course. If you see a big long serial # on the blade or pump, the first two digits will tell you the year

You should trust that # more than how old someone TELLS you it is..
OK, thanks much that's really helpful and good to know. I'll keep ya posted on what's going on. i think Ill take my time and make sure not to get a lemon. It should be a bit before we get another storm lol. Although I'm always ready haha.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In general, newer is better of course. If you see a big long serial # on the blade or pump, the first two digits will tell you the year

You should trust that # more than how old someone TELLS you it is..
OK so I might have just hit a deal. I have to go look at it tomorrow, but I found everything for my truck all supposedly working as it should for 600. I'm talking push plates wiring and all. But it's a 2 prong setup. I don't know what the difference is between the 2 and 3 prongs? The guy I talk with was making it sound like I should go with the 3 prong. What you think?

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
OK so I might have just hit a deal. I have to go look at it tomorrow, but I found everything for my truck all supposedly working as it should for 600. I'm talking push plates wiring and all. But it's a 2 prong setup. I don't know what the difference is between the 2 and 3 prongs? The guy I talk with was making it sound like I should go with the 3 prong. What you think?
There are two different 2 prong setups - and old, obsolete setup only used on MM1 and a newer type used on late model plows. Based on the price, I'm sure that it is the former. In which case, saving $300 to limit yourself to 20+ year old plows would likely not be money well spent

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are two different 2 prong setups - and old, obsolete setup only used on MM1 and a newer type used on late model plows. Based on the price, I'm sure that it is the former. In which case, saving $300 to limit yourself to 20+ year old plows would likely not be money well spent
OK, besides the age is it really a big deal between them both. I tried to upload a pic of it but I couldn't the plow is in nice shape and the only reason why I would consider doing this deal is 2300 is what I was looking at with the guy I know. Or I can get this older system that literally came off the same truck as I'm putting it on, for 600. So I'd have push plates and all. I can't even get the push plates and wiring for less the 900. So I'd be saving nearly 1700 bucks by going this route. Can those push plates work with newer plows if I did upgrade later? And again is there really any down fall to going that route besides the age. Again there no hopes that I can see I'll be checking out the shape of everything else first to. Thanks again I do really appreciate all this.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess thenpic did load. I'm going to go look at this tomorrow morning. My.biggest question is is there any issues with running the old style if I did go that route it would save me a lot money going this way and I'm OK with older things just last year I was using my 79 f250 with a speed cast on it. Lol so going to my 02 is going to be nice.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So update the plow I'm going to go look at today he just texted me and said it's a 3 prong and he messed up. I'm thinking he don't even know what he has. And again he's only asking 600 for everything. So does that mean it's a early mm1 or does that make it a mm2. I'm thinking at this point it don't really matter for the price.

· Premium Member
17,303 Posts
That pic is the $600 plow and includes everything for your truck?

Its tough to tell by the photo but it looks like a MM1 3 plug. The style of pump would be 3 plug but a MM2 would have a handle with yellow grip on the tower that moves the pins in and out which appears to be missing on the plow

If I understood you and you can get that plow with all vehicle pieces for $600, the. Yes it would be an excellent deal even being MM1

Itll be a little tougher to put on and off, that will be the biggest difference but millions of people managed to do it for years

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That pic is the $600 plow and includes everything for your truck?

Its tough to tell by the photo but it looks like a MM1 3 plug. The style of pump would be 3 plug but a MM2 would have a handle with yellow grip on the tower that moves the pins in and out which appears to be missing on the plow

If I understood you and you can get that plow with all vehicle pieces for $600, the. Yes it would be an excellent deal even being MM1

Itll be a little tougher to put on and off, that will be the biggest difference but millions of people managed to do it for years
OK that's great to hear and yes that's the photo of what I'm going to look at for the 600. So as long as theirs no cracks in frame and he actually has everything I'll be getting it or even if he don't have everything I'll still get it its cheaper then any other one that nice that I've seen. Thank you again all the info has been very helpful. I'm sure I'll be on here again with more questions.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you're getting the whole set up for $600.00. you can't go wrong. Even if it needs a little re conditioning.
My thoughts exactly. Even if I had to put 300 in it I'm a happy cmaper. I just bought it and he even gave me the side wings to add on and shoes I mean everything. My mind is blown I just saved 1700 bucks far as Im concerned. Thanks everyone for their Input.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.