Looking for a good sander...

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by TOMHIII, Jul 27, 2020.

1. TOMHIII

TOMHIII Junior Member
    from BUFFALO

I'm looking for a good sander for my '00 GMC 3500 plow truck for my personal driveway. Any suggestions?

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

How big of a driveway?

3. OP
    OP
    TOMHIII

TOMHIII Junior Member
    from BUFFALO

About 500 feet long

4. cwren2472

What kind of budget did you have in mind?

Honestly, my inclination would be to recommend that you hire someone to do it. Spreaders need a lot more maintenance and attention than a plow does. Unless you are driving to a materials place each storm, you'd have to have a way to store your material on site, keep it dry, and load it. And any full size spreader is probably going to hold a lot more material than you need.

But if hiring isn't an option, I could throw out some suggestions if you tell us what you were looking to spend.

5. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

I had a Snoway tailgate spreader on my 2006 F350 to use on my 600 ft driveway and garage area. Only used it about three years. It’s almost as easy to just throw it by hand out of a bucket (which is what I do now).

plus - the salt will really rust away the rear of your truck unless you can do a thorough washing after each time.

just my own opinion, of course

cwren2472 likes this.
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Or a push spreader if you don't mind the exercise

7. OP
    OP
    TOMHIII

TOMHIII Junior Member
    from BUFFALO

I like a powered spreader myself. Getting a bit older and the knees aren't what they used to be. I've got a small Kubota Tractor I bought to load said spreader. I can wash it off in the garage with a hose.

8. cwren2472

You bought a tractor for the purpose of loading a spreader you don't have yet?

9. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

You mean we didn't all agree that he should buy a loader before he buys a spreader.

Maybe think about buying a used vicon/pendulum spreader and 15 bags of solar salt

10. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 PlowSite.com Addict

11. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

maybe just use a fertilizer spreader on the 3 pt hitch of the tractor. Can just leave it on all winter. Less hassle and easier to use than a truck mounted spreader

m_ice likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    TOMHIII

TOMHIII Junior Member
    from BUFFALO

No, I bought a Kubota with a front end loader to play with on my property.

13. OP
    OP
    TOMHIII

TOMHIII Junior Member
    from BUFFALO

14. OP
    OP
    TOMHIII

TOMHIII Junior Member
    from BUFFALO

How many trips up and down do you think I would have to make to cover 12'x600' with a push spreader?

15. OP
    OP
    TOMHIII

TOMHIII Junior Member
    from BUFFALO

What is a vicon/pendulum spreader?

16. OP
    OP
    TOMHIII

TOMHIII Junior Member
    from BUFFALO

I have garage with running hot water, drain and space heater. I figured I would just wash it off after using it.

17. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 PlowSite.com Addict

18. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

Once down, once back up depending on how heavy you apply and how much snow is on the ground limiting bouncy salt.

freezing rain you’ll want to use a SERIOUS amount of salt, let it bridge and then plow/ salt

19. cwren2472

Seeing as how that is only a $700ish unit brand new, you might want to keep that in mind as an alternative to driving 500 miles for a used one. Unless you really like driving, of course. I know some people enjoy driving big trucks needlessly.

Avalanche 2500 likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    TOMHIII

TOMHIII Junior Member
    from BUFFALO