Looking back at the 2020-2021 season

FourDiamond

It looks like the season in PA is a wrap. I know people here don't normally like to talk actual numbers, but here it goes. The season gave us 61 inches about 20% more than normal and about 36 more than last year. Our five largest clients accounted for 63% of total revenue and our payroll cost was 27% of revenue. Subcontractors gave us a net profit margin of 21% on subcontracted revenue. Residential revenue was only 2% of total revenue. Made some some money to spend next season. How do these numbers compare to any else?

jonniesmooth

PlowSite Veteran
What winter?
We had more snow in October this year than February, March or April.
8 serviceable events in Dec. and 6 in Jan. Then 4 salt runs to finish out the season.
Had enough snow to relocate piles in Feb then nothing.

Sure glad I didn't spend $50k on a new tractor.

jonniesmooth

PlowSite Veteran
Just wish leasehold improvements could be Section 179.
I had to look that up. Glad I did. My landlord is a putz. He won't spend anything on my unit.
I hate to do anything myself that I can't take out again, unless he'd give me rent credit for th e improvements. Not like I didn't know I could write that stuff off, but never knew the term for it.
And apparently you are saying you have to depreciate them over time. Can't take the whole year's cost at once.
Our taxes won't be ready till June. Because my wife got 4 weeks of the extra unemployment.

Kvston

We made some money. Decent year with some good lessons. Gail was one. 37” in 23 hours is something to watch out for.
The new equipment paid off with a good amount of revenue from it as did the new clients except one. Called the first storm to change contract parameters (increased servicing) then fired us after the storm. We got paid but a reminder to not count on a full seasons work from anyone.
al in all we hit our targets and no claims so we’re good this year.

Chineau

Yeah I still have that consideration in my mind but so far so good.

would be nice if people didn’t wear slippers or stilettos when it snows...
okay this is a judgement, if you are wearing slippers to the mall in February I hope no seed can populate there.
for it might be stupid will not reproduce.
sorry might be a touch negative.