Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older 3200 ventrac. It's not bad, but it's getting older and top speed of 6 mph kinda sucks.

I spent a lot of time looking at other out front mowers that can do double duty in summer and winter but was hitting a dead end.

So, now I'm giving serious thought to a new John Deere sub compact tractor. I have a plow truck k for my bigger areas, but I don't always have a place to put the snow for driveways. I'm thinking all I need is a good snowblower and maybe a broom.

1025r sounds appealing and the price is low enough where I can keep what I have as a backup and mower. But I have some concerns about the quality of the 54" snowblower, the hp of the 1025 to use the snowblower, and the travel speed is only about 9 mph.

Any reason not to look at the 2 series? It seems like the 2025 is the same hp but it goes closer to 12 mph. 12 gets it to be almost bearable to not need a trailer.

What about aftermarket snowblowers? Normand and Rad Tech seem pretty good alternatives. I need something with chute control for both rotation and deflection.

Whatever I get needs to have a cab. Aftermarket cab is fine as long as it has heat.

The bigger 2 series have more hp and go faster, but they are a lot wider and also have emissions stuff which I don't know if it's a problem.

Anybody have opinions that has used or looked at the different Deere tractors?

· Registered
60,321 Posts
Deere attachments are junk for commercial work. Run away.

1025 has more than enough power to run the 54" blower. And apparently they finally came out with a factory cab.

· Registered
85 Posts
Don't know if this will help, at a former employer's location, we had two Steiner tractors. They were powered by Kohler twin cylinder engines. We had blower, power broom and mower attachments. Transport speed was maybe 10-12 mph. Plenty of power to run attachments. One unit had a cab with a 12 volt electric heater (mostly for windshield defrost) which helped in inclement weather. Problem was they were neglected so it was usually a scramble to get them ready before the storm. Not sure why they weren't more popular. Dealer support around here was poor.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
Mark, which snowblower do you use? And is transport speed an issue for you at all? An extra 3-4 mph is why I'm thinking 2025 vs 1025.
54" on the 1025's. We don't use them much, so they work, but they are chintzy crap. Brooms are worse, but we use them regularly.

I have "borrowed" one customer's 20?? and used their plow...again, it's lightweight junk.

If I was to get a plow, I'd get a Boss UTV Vplow. Mount would have to be fabbed, but it's a good plow. Stay away from the Boss ATV plows, those are overpriced tin foil as well.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
Apparently you've missed my posts regarding my experiences with the one on our Gator. Plow was great, machine was a POS.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
Don't worry Deere is next for Toro they'll get the gator corrected...
Pretty sure the same guy designed the wires/connectors on the Gators as did Toro/Boss latest and greatest. Nothing was sealed.

Are you saying I shouldn't buy a couple 10' DXTs? Should I buy the untested Fisher 10.5' V?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.