Looking at buying a new plow for my 2005 2500hd

Hi all,

I have been lurking on the site for awhile but thought I should finally make a thread.
I am in the market for a new plow currently running a older 2005era blizzard power plow weighs in about 970lbs. I am not a huge fan the only thing I enjoy about it is the strap on center console joystick control and the wings for pushing back my driveway banks and cleaning up. Since it is starting to show age and the dealer network for them is very poor in central Maine I am looking at a new plow preferably a v-plow.

My truck is a 2005 2500hd regular cab long bed with the factory plow package and hard wired light strobe button on dash. I would like a bigger V such as a boss 9.2 or a fisher 9.6 just not sure if it will handle it well weight wise, any input? I plow my .5 mile long driveway in the middle of a field so highly prone to drifting and need to have that extra length to push banks further off drive without going into ditch. Also plow two local snowmobile clubs that I am a member of for free and sometimes coworkers or friends for some cash. My truck is low mileage under 50k and in great shape I am also looking at flatbedding it to make it easier to haul two snowmobiles and maybe my utv so I might be looking at financing together if possible.

The dealer networks here run Boss, Fisher, Hinicker, Meyer

My personal choices are as follows:

Hinicker 9000 series 9.5
https://www.hiniker.com/snow_products/hp_vplow.html

Fisher XV2 9.6
http://www.fisherplows.com/products/xv2/

Boss V-XT 9.2 or Boss DXT 9.2
https://www.bossplow.com/en/products/truck-equipment/power-v-xt-plow
https://www.bossplow.com/en/products/truck-equipment/power-v-dxt-plow

Meyer Super V2 9.6
https://www.meyerproducts.com/snow-plows/contractor-truck-plows/super-v-v2

I know this is a loaded question but Im looking for price point to performance and reliability, basically the best value.

Also if anyone lives in the central maine area and knows of anywhere to get the best pricing and service for dealers let me know.

JustJeff

PlowSite Veteran
Since you've already had a PP on your truck, it can obviously handle the weight of pretty much anything out there. That being said, I'd go with the Boss or Fisher for my truck if I was you. Nothing against the other two, but I don't see them plowing commercially in my region. Not that you're doing commercial, but I'll take a commercial grade tool for the job even in a residential situation. But that's just me. And I wouldn't buy a plow based on price.

NYH1

PlowSite Veteran
I like Fisher Plow's so of the ones you mentioned I'd go XV2. I've had my XtremeV for three full seasons now without issue. I don't see why your truck wouldn't handle any of the plow's you listed.

NYH1.

OP
G

G5tunerguy

Almost all the plows do weigh less than the PP except for the xv2 9.6 which is 1040? I wasn't sure if that would be pushing it. Thanks for the replies, as far as commercial not so much but I do want a high quality piece that will last. Price is always something to fight with some plows are priced better than others some may have better value than others. All in the eyes of the owner really lol

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Almost all the plows do weigh less than the PP except for the xv2 9.6 which is 1040? I wasn't sure if that would be pushing it. Thanks for the replies, as far as commercial not so much but I do want a high quality piece that will last. Price is always something to fight with some plows are priced better than others some may have better value than others. All in the eyes of the owner really lol

I ran a 9.6ft MVP3 (same thing as a fisher just western) on an o7 2500hd without plow prep... for the amount of plowing you are doing, i think you will be fine... what is another 70lbs at this point?

OP
G

G5tunerguy

Very true. So now that weight is ruled out now weight. What choice would you make and why. Pros and cons of what I listed

White_Gold11

We have numerous trucks here n that body style/ size range running both 8ft and 9ft boss v plows. They have been very good to us over the years. I highly recommend the vxt or better yet dxt. For your driveway the vxt 9ft will be more than enough plow imo.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Very true. So now that weight is ruled out now weight. What choice would you make and why. Pros and cons of what I listed
I know nothing about Fisher, Hinicker, or Meyer. I have a Boss flat top V on my 06 2500HD. Westerns are good too.
My suggestion would be to go to your nearest dealer and see what they stock and what parts and service they have. You don't want to be looking for parts, or service far away when you really need them.

OP
G

G5tunerguy

Best prices I have found so far is a current year demo fisher xv2 9.6 with rubber snow flap installed out the door for a total of 6500 a painted xv2 for about 6300

Boss dxt 9.2 stainless for 6500 and painted for 6300. Used painted for 5500. Another dealer has not gotten back to me but might be lower then 5500 used.

All the used demos come with warranties. What would you go for?

OP
G

G5tunerguy

Boss dxt 9.2 painted demo was 5500 installed out the door. 2 yr warranty as far as they can tell.

Waiting on another dealer that might beat that price. They said they would warranty it if I bring it back to them.

Fisher xv2 stainless 9.6 wit snow flap 6500 installed comes with 2 yr warranty

OP
G

G5tunerguy

Tough call. I like boss, but stainless has it's benefits. How much was the demo used?
Boss dxt 9.2 painted demo was 5500 installed out the door. 2 yr warranty as far as they can tell.

Waiting on another dealer that might beat that price. They said they would warranty it if I bring it back to them.

Fisher xv2 stainless 9.6 wit snow flap 6500 installed comes with 2 yr warranty

NYH1

PlowSite Veteran
I'm a Fisher guy and I like stainless....also like to buy new whenever possible.

However, you're not gonna go wrong with a Fisher, Western or Boss with good dealer support.

NYH1.

Top Forums