• PlowSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again PlowSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of PlowSite will experience a major upgrade next week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue.

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit PlowSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow PlowSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, PlowSite Team

long bed trucks

Dan Norton

New to the forum, hi all! I have an F450 and a Topkick, neither of which are 4wd, both of which have 14 ft contractors dumps...long wheelbases. I'd like to put V plows on them, but am concerned about traction. Does anyone have experience or suggestions?

Dan Norton

Alan

PlowSite.com Addict
I tend to think that traction will be less of a problem than your rears running in the snowbank whenever you turn. On any curve at all you'll be treading snow with your duals.

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
I would put a 9.5' V-plow on the F 450, and a 10' straight blade on the TopKick. Blizzard, has a model that might work well for the topkick, expands from 8.5' to 11', with a 9.5' scoop setting. I don't know much about Blizzard at all, so I am not really putting my name behind there product. However it might be a good plow, just never sean one close up.

Making sure you have weight (sand works well) in the back of the truck would help. On Spot chains also work well.

I have some F 650s on the road, and my drivers say weight and on spot chains makes them almost unstopable.

Geoff

PlowSite.com Addict
Ditto what Alan & GeoffD said, I don't see traction being a big problem with good rubber, plenty of weight & possibly the Onspot chains. I think the TopKick would definitely be better off with a big straight blade - you're getting up to a fairly beefy truck in that series.

The long wheelbase will be an issue on tight turns, trucks like that work well on long straight pushes like a large parking lot. Besides the problem of having the outside dual in the unplowed snow on a tight turn, there's the aggravation of manouvering something that big in a tight spot.

OP
D

Dan Norton

I should have been a little more specific....I will be using these trucks in a shopping mall parking lot (a large grocery store/Big K Kmart) Mostly long straight runs.

Thanks

Dan

OP
D

Dan Norton

Yes, I'd like to put a sander on one of them. No central hydraulics, so I'll probably put a v box.

Also, any thoughts as to western vs. boss in the V plow department?

Thanks again..

Dan

PlowSite.com Addict
Western vs Boss is a topic that's come up before - try a search using "Western", "Boss" and "V-plow" and you should come up with a fair amount of reading!

In the end (IMHO, anyway) an important thing to consider is the dealer service/support that you receive, especially AFTER you've paid your money and the plow is bolted on your truck.

plowking35

2000 Club Member
Well the 450 shouldnt have anything larger than the 9'5" western or 9'2" boss. With the top kick you could run the 10'2" boss.
Like Rob mentioned, dealer support is more important than what brand of red plow you buy. With trucks that large, ease of tripping
is secondary.
Dino