Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 with a ultramount to unimount set up. It has a three plug set up. Up until recently everything worked fine. I just switched out the glass bulbs in the lights for led bulbs. And now as soon as I connect the light harness my high beam indicator on the truck cluster comes on. But the low beams are on ,and I loose my high beam function. Any ideas what it can be?

· Registered
18,088 Posts
I currently own a 2001 GMC Sierra 1500 with a ultramount to unimount set up. It has a three plug set up. Up until recently everything worked fine. I just switched out the glass bulbs in the lights for led bulbs. And now as soon as I connect the light harness my high beam indicator on the truck cluster comes on. But the low beams are on ,and I loose my high beam function. Any ideas what it can be?
What headlights do you have? The older square style or the newer nighthawk type?

What type of bulb is it that you put in? A direct replacement to what was there just an LED format?

This sound like it might be a negitive/ positive common issue to me.

· Registered
15,304 Posts
Just fyi Led bulbs in a housing NOT designed for them wont give you any better light. I'd just put the old bulbs back in.

· Registered
7,605 Posts
Last year I installed led bulbs in my plow DD headlamps. I have mixed feelings.

1. The bulbs freeze up during heavy storms, and after the cooking spray I had to use on them effort, I was out deicing them during my route.

2. The lighting was better in small areas that allowed reflective light to come back into the truck, ie: parking lots, around snow piles, buildings, cars, etc.

3. The lighting distance distribution sucks on the road. These particular led bulbs fit the DD housings, but do not distribute light similar to a standard or halogen bulb does. The light cannot be aimed or directed to a location on the road at the normal distance away from the front of the vehicle a standard bulb does, because these led's do not focus the beam. The light distribution goes everywhere.

They light Up the trees, down in front of the plow, to the left and to the right.. NOT on the ground far enough out to provide a clear visual area ( of the road surface ) ahead of you, providing comfortable, sufficient breaking time if you're not paying attention constantly.

4. Any street sign you come upon that is reflective, such as speed limit signs, warning signs, stop signs, etc have such an intense reflection back into the cab, it's annoying to the driver.

5. Everybody thinks your high beams are on, even though you're running your lows, simply because the light exiting the bulbs goes everywhere, and is not on the horizon like a regular lamp.

I'm switching back to halogen bulbs if I can't get used to these issues.

Sorry I don't know why you high beams don't function properly.
Your mileage may vary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.