Lift or ?? for 2016 Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dsisson, Dec 10, 2018.

1. dsisson

dsisson Junior Member

I have a 2016 Ram 1500. Just put a new plow on the front. Honestly, I'm completely new to this. I'm using the plow just for my own commercial building (about 20 spots) and my little residential drive.

The plow makes the front end of the ram sag substantially. The dealer suggested I get a 2" lift kit.

I have no idea what I actually need. I know the 1500 is on the small side for plowing, but it won't get much use - probably 5 or 6 times a year.

Do I get an airbag thing that goes inside the springs? A 2" lift, but otherwise stock? Some other solution for this?

With the plow on, the hitch is about 4 inches above the ground. I was able to drive it home without any incident, but I can tell that the plow will be hard on the front end of the truck. Even the hitch is pulling the front end down a little bit.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I honestly don't know if I need to lift all 4 wheels, just the front, and even what I should buy. I don't know much about 4WD suspension.

I figure I'm buying something and taking it to a mechanic to install, but if there's some sort of airbag that would lift the front end and provide some more strength to the front end??

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Hah. What plow?

If you lift the truck you will have to lower the mount so the angle is correct.

Bottom line: you may want to get the appropriate plow (smaller...lighter) so you don't have to monkey with the suspension.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How much ballast ya got in the back?

NYH1, JMHConstruction and Philbilly2 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    dsisson

dsisson Junior Member

ha. I'm learning already.

No ballast in the back. Would this help/fix the problem? How much?

I figure the plow is already at the wrong height/angle, because the front is down too low.

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

Counterweight/ Ballast will not hurt that is for sure.

Without knowing what plow you have, it is hard to give a number. Need to know how much the plow weights to know how much counterweight you need to offset it.

BUFF and dieselss like this.
  6. dieselss

Goto the manufacturer website and plug in all the info and see what they recommend.

I'd personally say anywhere from 400 to 900+ depending upon specifics

7. johnhenry1933

It's imperative to know which plow you have mounted. While ballast and air bags may level the truck, you may still be overloaded. The suspension is easy to address. The front axle (the weak link) is not.

8. OP
    OP
    dsisson

dsisson Junior Member

9. johnhenry1933

Ah. That looks like a really light plow. I don't understand why you're sagging. I couldn't find specs, but ballast and airbags would solve the problem.

10. OP
    OP
    dsisson

dsisson Junior Member

I don't think it's a big plow, but clearly the front end of this truck needs some help. The Pathfinder hitch hangs a bit lower than most other brands too, which doesn't help.

When you say "airbags" can you give me an example?

11. dieselss

Post some pics.
    Plow up and down to compare sag...also measure how much in actuality drops your truck

12. NYH1

NYH1 2000 Club Member

I'd put 500 lbs. behind the rear wheels up against the tailgate. Should help.

NYH1.

13. boutch

boutch Senior Member

That plow is no more then 400 lbs. Try what other said 4-500 lbs behind the axle but dodge 1/2 ton front end are already low. You might need a leveling kit.

14. OP
    OP
    dsisson

dsisson Junior Member

OK, thank you. I'll measure the height with and without the plow.

But this gets me back to my original question - what lift or leveling kit should I buy? I know I need one, but have no idea what to get.

15. boutch

boutch Senior Member

One of those 2 inches leveling kit. It is just a front strut spacer.

Screenshot_20181211-074043_Chrome.jpg

16. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

How do you "know you need one"?

JMHConstruction likes this.
  17. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite Fanatic

You shouldn't "need" a lift, unless you just want one. The mount is bolted to the frame, so unless you spend the big bucks, and lift the frame, add longer suspension, etc., you're not going to help your mount being too low. The cheap leveling and lift kits only raise the body.

Add weight behind the tires and see what it does. You're going to sag no matter what, because you're hanging a lot of weight in the front. The added weight will act like a teeter totter, raising your front a bit.

I'm not seeing any front air bags for your vehicle. Perhaps someone else knows of some.

18. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

Hunh???

Even a cheap leveling kit will lift the frame. Will not lift the front axle on a soild axle which I don't think a 1/2 ton dodge is but I dont know that for sure, but the frame will for sure be higher.

kj330 likes this.
  19. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite Fanatic

Oh. All the cheap ones I see around here are just body lifts, and they look awful. Sorry OP for the misinformation.

Philbilly2 likes this.
  20. NYH1

NYH1 2000 Club Member

A front end leveling kit will lift the front on a solid axle truck. The spacers go in between the top of the spring and the where the spring meets the chassis.

NYH1.