Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a little maintenance on my plow today and ended up breaking both u-bolts that hold the lift chain to the A-frame. I've been searching online and can't seem to find replacements anywhere (unless I buy the lift chain kit x2).

Does anyone know of a source for these little suckers?

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Use four nuts on each u-bolt when you put the new ones on.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Four nuts are not necessary if you use nylock nuts like what comes with a new plow. You should be able to find the clamps at any local hardware store.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
mishnick;1306286 said:
Four nuts are not necessary if you use nylock nuts like what comes with a new plow. ..
My experience with a one year old Fisher Dealer installed plow disagrees with that statement.

If you don't want to spend an extra buck for four nuts, this is the wrong business for you.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
There are two chains and a U bolt for each chain on all the Westerns I have ever built or serviced and yes... they all have one nut on them from the factory. It's not an issue of not having the cash for a second nut, it's an issue of using the correct engineering as determined by the people who designed it. If you don't have locking nuts then I can see "making due" by jaming two normal nuts on. But lets be realistic, you don't put two wheel nuts on every stud for the wheels of your car do you? You experience with the one year old Fisher is clearly an isolated experience. I have used the single nylock nuts on hundreds of plows over the years and never had one come loose. But suit yourself and use three nuts if it make you feel better.

·
Registered
205 Posts
On my plow their is one chain that lifts the plow. That chain bolts to the A frame using the one U bolt on the bottom. On top it just connects to the lift arm using the chain to connect it. The chain has extra links but their is not two chains on my plow should their be.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
On the unimount plows there was a single chain. That is correct for older models. Not sure when they stopped making them but all the Ultra mounts now have two chains.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

Lowe's and Home Depot didn't have anything big enough. I finally found a mom & pop hardware store open on a Sunday and they had 3/8" wire rope clamps that had the proper size u-bolts (I bought 6 of 'em so I have some spares).

I wondered about the double-nuts but ended up just using nylock's. If they loosen up or give me any other trouble I'll rethink the situation.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
mishnick;1306342 said:
You experience with the one year old Fisher is clearly an isolated experience. ..
"Isolated experiences" was the life story of that plow....Dozens of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.