1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leveling kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by scash77, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

This^^^^

2. scash77

scash77 Member

just googled it. much cheaper and much smaller than PT boards. thanks a lot bud.

3. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

You want the weight behind your rear axle to offset the weight of your plow in front of your front axle. I have a primarily residential route and need to carry sand and salt. I just have a couple of storage totes/bins with my sand and salt back there along with my 5hp single-stage snowblower. I use bagged "traction sand" in 50 pound bags and bagged salt in various sizes. You can also buy "tube sand" in 60 pound bags at Home Depot. 3 or 4 of them should do. And then you also have something that can be useful if you get stuck. Do be sure to secure your ballast in some manner so that if you hit something it doesn't come flying through your truck cab at you or out the back gate if you step on the gas.

edit: I took a while to type my reply and see others have covered the topic :)

scash77 likes this.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

I prefer water softner salt. Bags not blocks. When the season is over, I dump it in my softner. If you are stuck, sprinkler it around your tires.

scash77 likes this.
  5. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Sandbags is what I prefer, in an accident I wouldn't want to get hit by a 6x6. I also have A LOT of bags of salt back there, but still have the sand incase of traction and when the salt starts getting used up. Not bad this year, but between my sidewalk crews we were using about a pallet a storm. Even without a plow it's a good idea to have weight in winter

scash77 likes this.
  6. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

X2..............................................

scash77 likes this.
  7. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Twice as much? Then it will just sag the back :laugh:

Sorry couldn't resist...

8. FredG

FredG PlowSite Veteran

LOL

9. scash77

scash77 Member

Thanks for all the tips guys

10. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

In addition to the bags of tube sand behind my rear wheels I also installed Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks in the front of my Silverado. Really improved the ride quality too.

11. scash77

scash77 Member

about how much $$ ?

12. hbrady

hbrady Senior Member

As I recall I got them from autoanything for ~$180