1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Led or strobe ??

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by On a Call, Jan 8, 2017.

1. On a Call

On a Call PlowSite.com Addict

Mark I do agree...the cops around here are easy to see even at some distance. Perhaps they are adjusted to be seen at the angle they need to be or they just work well ? Either way they are bright and noticed even in day light hours or in the sun.

The other comments regarding strobes noise and costs are dead on too.

I remember back in high school, yes I went. We played with LED's they were weak and used mostly for panels to light up say...hoist is up. The reason we used them was due to life and ease of install. Anyhow...I never thought I would see the day they are being used for this application. Now I wish I would have invested into companies that developed them.

Anyhow...I see everyone carrying LED now. Even the street lights are going to LED they are whiter and cleaner looking. I put them in my trucks for the dome light. Now I need to switch safety lights.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

any time Peter ....

3. On a Call

Meg and Peter , hmmm ?

4. ktfbgb

ktfbgb 2000 Club Member

Family Guy

5. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

To answer the question posed - but not yet answered: Yes, you do get what you pay for with LEDs. Lots of folks will tell you that their eBay specials are bright, but everything looks bright when it's in your hand and pointed directly into your eyes. Truth be told, the cheap stuff looks pretty pathetic when compared with the good stuff.

As for brands, you can't go wrong with Whelen, SoundOff and Fenix. And I'll put in a plug for a local company near me - Star Warning Systems. I'd put some of their new LEDs up against the big boys for brightness.

On a Call likes this.
  6. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

I put a STAR 255 HTC on my articulated truck. Works great, and is auto-dimming which is great for the airport. It meets FAA brightness specifications during the day so I don't have to run around with a checkered flag attached, and then dims at night so it isn't annoying reflecting off of everything.

7. On a Call

Okay today I was driving down 75 towards Cincinnati. Went through a construction area that had a few contractors with LED light bars. Man they were bright !!! Stood out from about a half mile. I was not able to stop and check on the manufacturer but they did look like Whelen's.

ktfbgb likes this.