Snow Plowing Forum banner

Learning the basics

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  infineon954 
#1 ·
I was able to find the Snowbear at my local Lowes store and they can order and have it shipped for me- My question is this- I plan on using this JUST for some local driveways- no commercial- I would start with mine and then do maybe a family member. Having never plowed before- is there any info on the web on the general technique on how to plow?? Things like angle- backing up, etc..... Being a total newbie- i did not know if this info was out there -or I am on my own to just experiment.

#3 ·
Until the ground is frozen solid,let the plow down and then pick it up just until you see the nose of your vehicle start to drop.If the ground is soft you will be plowing dirt and have a good chance of busting something.
In other words,you want to keep the weight of the plow off the ground a little. Once the ground is frozen you won't have a problem.
Take it slow....oh and check for any objects that are immovable.....water line caps,small stumps,granite driveway markers,curbs,etc....at your place and any other place you are considering dropping a plow.
Go get an amber revolving light, if you are going to be taking your rig on the road ! Hope these help...

#4 ·
dunedog said:
Until the ground is frozen solid,let the plow down and then pick it up just until you see the nose of your vehicle start to drop.If the ground is soft you will be plowing dirt and have a good chance of busting something.
In other words,you want to keep the weight of the plow off the ground a little. Once the ground is frozen you won't have a problem.
THis will not work unless ground is perfectly flat though.

#7 ·
Shoes are an option Snowbear offers and the plow lifts with an electric winch operated from the cab. There is no down pressure..... weight of the plow and frame about 300lbs.
I just wanted anyone who hasn't plowed, to be aware that a plow can rip up lawn or a soft drive pretty quick and easy. :nod:
Spend many days as a kid raking stones and replacing sod in the Spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.