Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Sunday I was under my 2011 3500hd and noticed a little coolant on the bottom of the oil pan towards the back of the engine. Looks like it could only be a freeze plug at the back of the motor. I have to take it in to the chevy dealer this afternoon to see what it will cost to get fixed as the transmission or engine will have to come out. Now at least 2 snows are on the way, and I cant be without this truck. Would it be too risky to drive until the snow passes? Keep in mind I never see any coolant on the ground. Thanks

· Registered
15,304 Posts
Run it, keep an eye on coolant.

· Registered
556 Posts
If you can see the plug you can take a hammer and set and tap the plug to reseat it, sometimes that works. If the plug really is leaking youll have cooling issues... also if it really is leaking maybe your water/coolant ratio is off.

Reactions: dlcs

· Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's at the dealer. Freeze plugs are not leaking but it's a head gasket leaking. So they are doing both sides and putting a new manifold(heat shield was rotted) and fixing the broken manifold bolts. Mechanic is staying until done, could not believe he would do that for me. Just glad That gasket didn't give out. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.