1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by corebear, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. corebear

    corebear Junior Member
    Messages: 2

    1979 Blazer 350 leak

    I just installed a Crate 350 into my 79 Blazer. I now have one leak which I
    thought was the tranny, but turns out it is coming out of a little creamed-colored plastic part located about one foot rear of the front tired, directly above the drive-shaft. :confused:
    The part is about 1 inch by 1.5 inches with a bolt in the center of it. It is located next to two hoses coming out of the body which lead to the engine. It also has a 6-inch rod sticking out of it, which is the width of a nail.
    The transmission fuild is leaking out of where this tiny rod is sticking out of.

    The truck does not leak while warmed up fully. Only when it has sat for 20 minutes does it leak.

    I am hoping to find out what this plastic piece is called and how to go about replacing it. (Will I have to drain the truck of fluid before taking the piece off the truck.)
    It's obvious I am not auto-literate, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm learning...

    Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  2. Tarkus

    Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,113

    Not sure what part you are talking about (a picture would sure help) but you seem to be dealing with a transmisson leak of some kind. Basically as long as you do not remove tranny pan there is no need to drain fluid. Replace part and top off fluid.
  3. streetsurfin'

    streetsurfin' Senior Member
    Messages: 770

    Tarkus, does this sound to you like it might have been a junction block for a previous mounting of an accessory filter of cooler which has since been removed.
    Corebear, does the rod look like a length of old trans line that may have been soldered or crimped off at the end and is the block in line with the trans lines to the radiator/ cooler in front?
    You also say the lines come out of the body. Body of the vehicle? Or body of the Trans? And head toward the engine. Can you find and post the termination point at the other end or try to find or post the origin point "from the body". Do these lines have nothing to do with the block? More info like this will help.
    I don't know, I keep rereading your post trying to picture what it could be. Is there anything going to the block beside the rod and thru-bolt? A piece of vacuum line. Could this possibly be a breather for the transfer case?
    Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but just some ideas that hopefully help you figure it out. Shop manuals are invaluable when it comes to stuff like this.
  4. Tarkus

    Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,113

    I thought about that but he said two lines from body not frame so I pasted it by.
  5. corebear

    corebear Junior Member
    Messages: 2

    I don't have a digital camera, but did draw a diagram. I'll send it. ..I did speak to a mechanic who saw the diagram and said it's the main seal on the transmission.
    I'd like another opinion though...
  6. Tarkus

    Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,113

    Need to see diagram but given age of truck tha the fact that you just changed engine I would say there is a chance you damaged torque converter seal on tranny. Some call it main seal or auto tranny input shaft seal too.