Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a kubota x1100c and want to get a vplow i've narrowed it down to boss or western can anyone with first hand knowledge of these plows tell me the good and the bad i've been around the new western v plow on our work truck and liked it but i could go either direction and it seems the boss is cheaper i can get one of those for 3712.00 shipped to my door tax included . the only thing i've seen on the and i'm not sure if i like is the single acting cylinder on the blade angle.i'd also like to hear what everyone else paid and pictures of it unmounted just don't want big mount hanging down to hang me up all summer.

· Registered
14,949 Posts
If you already have a western, why not just go with that one?

What's wrong with a single acting cylinder?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The western is at my work and single acting cylinders only have power one way it looks like it’s spring return power out on the boss plow I was just wondering if anyone had trouble with it ice buildup etc not letting it return

· Registered
111 Posts
We have 2 westerns on 2 separate kubota 1100. We use them for sidewalks. I will say when they are working they do a good job on scrape and over all use.

Now the bad.
We hardly use them cause we typically continually salt due to the accounts we have. The stock edges wear down extremely fast.

Both of ours have been electrical nightmares. They were both purchased the same time back in 2016 since then they have both had the modules replaced, one had the module replaced twice. We have replaced both controllers, and we have replaced the main fleet flex power wire on the kubota on one. We also had issues with both of them becoming “locked” by the western security feature. I think that was related to the bad modules, but it was really annoying. We have been a western company through and through, and hardly have any issues with our truck plows, but if I had to do it all over again I think I would get the kubota brand plow.

Something else to consider is width. If I am remembering correctly the boss plow is 6” wider than the western which was another reason I went to western cause we Squeeze them into places.

Something else on edit I should note is we take them off the kubota when we salt and only put them on when we plow. That system seems to be pretty good and easy but it does take 2 guys to do it without pushing the plow against something.

· Registered
111 Posts
I don’t know how salt could have anything to do with modules and controllers going bad. Maybe you could make a case for the wording harness if the plug got corroded, but even that’s a stretch. We spread thousands of tons with out trucks and don’t have the issues that these do.

When not in use the plows are stored in shipping containers out of the weather and separate from any salt.

You don’t need to get the K connect system for the kubota plow, they also make one that is electric over hydraulic just like the western and boss for around the same price point.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell me what makes you like the kubota plow better I just want to make a informed decision cause I’ve never seen any of these in person so far it sounds like I’m going to pass on a western does someone make the kubota plow for them

· Registered
1,354 Posts
Dieselfuel,

I cant comment on boss vs western at all.

My Dad has a Kubota 1100 with a SnowDogg V and its been fine for the 2 years he has used it.

Had a super cold spell and I needed to widen my drive out after it drifted and I borrowed his setup instead of freezing on my ATV plow setup.
Wheel Tire Snow Sky Vehicle

close up of the snowdogg
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

and then the bank I was pushing back,
Temp was in the Minus teens and nice and warm plowing in this setup.

Tire Snow Wheel Snowplow Vehicle

· Registered
59 Posts
We're in the process of buying the RTV-X1100C with a Boss V-Plow, the plow will come in with their fall order.

Hopefully we have our unit next week. How much snow will these walk through without or with chains on the back?

If I should start my own thread, let know.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
I had the Boss on my Gator 855 (I think). It was the best part about the entire setup. Never had an issue with the plow, lots of issues with the Gator.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
I had the Boss on my Gator 855 (I think). It was the best part about the entire setup. Never had an issue with the plow, lots of issues with the Gator.
Correction, it was an 825.

· Registered
59 Posts
Dieselfuel,

I cant comment on boss vs western at all.

My Dad has a Kubota 1100 with a SnowDogg V and its been fine for the 2 years he has used it.

Had a super cold spell and I needed to widen my drive out after it drifted and I borrowed his setup instead of freezing on my ATV plow setup.
View attachment 189903

close up of the snowdogg View attachment 189904

and then the bank I was pushing back,
Temp was in the Minus teens and nice and warm plowing in this setup.

View attachment 189905
Are the springs that come on the front end of the RTV-X1100C the heaviest duty you can get or is there a heavier duty set you need with the Boss plow?

Are the springs that come on the RTV-X1100C heavy duty enough for the Boss V-Plow.

· Registered
58,836 Posts
Are the springs that come on the front end of the RTV-X1100C the heaviest duty you can get or is there a heavier duty set you need with the Boss plow?

Are the springs that come on the RTV-X1100C heavy duty enough for the Boss V-Plow.
If the springs on a Gator 825 can handle it, pretty sure the RTV can.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.