kubota x 1100c vplow questions

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by dieselfuel007, Jan 27, 2019.

1. dieselfuel007

dieselfuel007 Junior Member

i have a kubota x1100c and want to get a vplow i've narrowed it down to boss or western can anyone with first hand knowledge of these plows tell me the good and the bad i've been around the new western v plow on our work truck and liked it but i could go either direction and it seems the boss is cheaper i can get one of those for 3712.00 shipped to my door tax included . the only thing i've seen on the and i'm not sure if i like is the single acting cylinder on the blade angle.i'd also like to hear what everyone else paid and pictures of it unmounted just don't want big mount hanging down to hang me up all summer.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If you already have a western, why not just go with that one?

What's wrong with a single acting cylinder?

3. OP
    OP
    dieselfuel007

The western is at my work and single acting cylinders only have power one way it looks like it’s spring return power out on the boss plow I was just wondering if anyone had trouble with it ice buildup etc not letting it return

4. sns250

sns250 Senior Member

We have 2 westerns on 2 separate kubota 1100. We use them for sidewalks. I will say when they are working they do a good job on scrape and over all use.

Now the bad.
    We hardly use them cause we typically continually salt due to the accounts we have. The stock edges wear down extremely fast.

Both of ours have been electrical nightmares. They were both purchased the same time back in 2016 since then they have both had the modules replaced, one had the module replaced twice. We have replaced both controllers, and we have replaced the main fleet flex power wire on the kubota on one. We also had issues with both of them becoming “locked” by the western security feature. I think that was related to the bad modules, but it was really annoying. We have been a western company through and through, and hardly have any issues with our truck plows, but if I had to do it all over again I think I would get the kubota brand plow.

Something else to consider is width. If I am remembering correctly the boss plow is 6” wider than the western which was another reason I went to western cause we Squeeze them into places.

Something else on edit I should note is we take them off the kubota when we salt and only put them on when we plow. That system seems to be pretty good and easy but it does take 2 guys to do it without pushing the plow against something.

5. OP
    OP
    dieselfuel007

I won’t be salting cause it’s going to be residential and width doesn’t matter in your opinion were your electrical problems due to salt use I think the kubota plow is near 7000.00 so cost is an issue with it

6. MeTurf

MeTurf Junior Member
    from Maine

We run the BOSS V on a John Deere 825i Gator. 4 years no issues. Very reliable plow. Easy to take on/off.

7. sns250

sns250 Senior Member

I don’t know how salt could have anything to do with modules and controllers going bad. Maybe you could make a case for the wording harness if the plug got corroded, but even that’s a stretch. We spread thousands of tons with out trucks and don’t have the issues that these do.

When not in use the plows are stored in shipping containers out of the weather and separate from any salt.

You don’t need to get the K connect system for the kubota plow, they also make one that is electric over hydraulic just like the western and boss for around the same price point.

8. OP
    OP
    dieselfuel007

Tell me what makes you like the kubota plow better I just want to make a informed decision cause I’ve never seen any of these in person so far it sounds like I’m going to pass on a western does someone make the kubota plow for them

9. OP
    OP
    dieselfuel007

well i just looked at some pics of the kubota blade and i don't like the fact that you have to remove the bumper looks like i'm probably ordering a boss unless something changes

10. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

Dieselfuel,

I cant comment on boss vs western at all.

My Dad has a Kubota 1100 with a SnowDogg V and its been fine for the 2 years he has used it.

Had a super cold spell and I needed to widen my drive out after it drifted and I borrowed his setup instead of freezing on my ATV plow setup.
    IMG_0594.JPG

close up of the snowdogg IMG_0595.JPG

and then the bank I was pushing back,
    Temp was in the Minus teens and nice and warm plowing in this setup.

IMG_0596.JPG

zap6 likes this.
  11. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

Niceee. Probably can’t go wrong with western or boss for that.

12. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I have an 1100 RTV with the Boss V and it is amazing. Eats up sidewalks for us.

zap6 likes this.
  13. zap6

zap6 Junior Member

We're in the process of buying the RTV-X1100C with a Boss V-Plow, the plow will come in with their fall order.

Hopefully we have our unit next week. How much snow will these walk through without or with chains on the back?

If I should start my own thread, let know.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I had the Boss on my Gator 855 (I think). It was the best part about the entire setup. Never had an issue with the plow, lots of issues with the Gator.

15. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

I have a boss v plow on my "UTV", no problems other than bending a push frame when I hit a Subaru.
    I do however like the idea trip edge on the western.

16. Mark Oomkes

Correction, it was an 825.

17. zap6

zap6 Junior Member

Are the springs that come on the front end of the RTV-X1100C the heaviest duty you can get or is there a heavier duty set you need with the Boss plow?

Are the springs that come on the RTV-X1100C heavy duty enough for the Boss V-Plow.

18. Mark Oomkes

If the springs on a Gator 825 can handle it, pretty sure the RTV can.

zap6 likes this.
  19. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

If weight is a major concern, boss now offers a 5.5' V weighing in at only 245 lbs

zap6 likes this.
  20. zap6

zap6 Junior Member

Thanks for your quick replies, @Mark Oomkes and @cwren2472 .

I think we'll have the RTV this week, just waiting for a call. Once we get it, I'll post a few pictures.

Mike