Kinda feeling age stamped

Olwestern

I found this site. We have lots of snow so having my own plow was essential. So is having back up. Also important is keeping up on the snowpack. We have gravel drives. So on generally I leave the first snow fall on the ground n drive on it to pack a base so I don't plow the grave off.
Hey I got ol iron n had to get good at fixing things with what I had. And be able to keep it going. My old trucks are nice, I can work on them n know what I have. Nice teaching the kids n now grandkids how to mechanic n weld. Our daughter is a truck driver and also has several welding certifications, she works in the arctic. Proud papa aging myself again. Anyhows I had to get the job done n me n my ol iron kinda work together good.
But I'm also feeling a bit nestolgic. Thinking of the times 40 years ago n what we had for equipment. Old 740 (?) Chamion graders . The same plows I'm using today. And truck. 966 loaders with blades made from pieces of the oil pipeline strapped on with binders. Chains that weighed 500 pounds.
The highway service wasn't what it is today. Folks did a lot of roads n still maintain the ice roads. But plowing snow is plowing snow. And the days when folks stopped n helped pull you out or were brokeen knew their time was coming. And the honor system was strong.
And probably because I'm kinda just getting to be slightly elder group of very fine folks. I like to help out where I can.
Hey it tiss the season all hurry up n wait

LapeerLandscape

PlowSite Fanatic
I found this site. We have lots of snow so having my own plow was essential. So is having back up. Also important is keeping up on the snowpack. We have gravel drives. So on generally I leave the first snow fall on the ground n drive on it to pack a base so I don't plow the grave off.
Hey I got ol iron n had to get good at fixing things with what I had. And be able to keep it going. My old trucks are nice, I can work on them n know what I have. Nice teaching the kids n now grandkids how to mechanic n weld. Our daughter is a truck driver and also has several welding certifications, she works in the arctic. Proud papa aging myself again. Anyhows I had to get the job done n me n my ol iron kinda work together good.
But I'm also feeling a bit nestolgic. Thinking of the times 40 years ago n what we had for equipment. Old 740 (?) Chamion graders . The same plows I'm using today. And truck. 966 loaders with blades made from pieces of the oil pipeline strapped on with binders. Chains that weighed 500 pounds.
The highway service wasn't what it is today. Folks did a lot of roads n still maintain the ice roads. But plowing snow is plowing snow. And the days when folks stopped n helped pull you out or were brokeen knew their time was coming. And the honor system was strong.
And probably because I'm kinda just getting to be slightly elder group of very fine folks. I like to help out where I can.
There is a few of us older or should I say experienced guys on here. Where in Alaska are you.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
There is a few of us older or should I say experienced guys on here. Where in Alaska are you.
I've got a year on you and someone in jersey is older than me.

@Olwestern ,
I've seen a lot of snow removal equipment people would laugh at today, but they got the job done.
I'm sure your experience will be appreciated by many on here.

You'll also discover there are some people who ask for advice, but don't like the answer.

OP
O

Olwestern

@Olwestern ,
I've seen a lot of snow removal equipment people would laugh at today, but they got the job done.
I'm sure your experience will be appreciated by many on here.

You'll also discover there are some people who ask for advice, but don't like the answer.
Yeah, to bad some folks can be negative when we're all here to learn n help each other. For me , if you're taking care of the folks around you you are automatically taking care of yourself.
Besides I could out plow them anyhows.
I learned what I know without the internet. And had to figure out how to get the job done. And in AK 40 years ago, your all you had n don't count on parts. Just get the job done.
With what you have. But looking back I'm feeling kinda proud about it. Heck I even got to plow out n set up the staging area for the Iditarod.
Yeah it was somewhat easier

OP
O

Olwestern

This one kinda gave me some deja vu all over again...
Yeah like who figured out about using the fuel petal as the kill switch. Company I worked for had a model A and 2 model Cs. How about firing up the pony motors on Cat 12f ? So you could start the grader engine.
Or using a weed burner torch, remember those, to preheat the engine block. Follow the frost line up on the block as is came to temperatures.
Of course nothing else wanted to work when it's 25 below. But I did enjoy it

Randall Ave

PlowSite Fanatic
Welcome to the club, we ain't old, we've just been around a little longer than most.

jomama45

PlowSite Veteran

@Olwestern ,

We call those type of folks "********"...........

They're dead set on what they want to hear as an answer before asking the question, and are willing to fight to the death.......

OP
O

Olwestern

So here I am putting together a new plow truck. A 1984 F-250 with a western plow from the 60s.
This is a new plow truck to me. And the window defroster heater even works in my new one.
I am ripping out the smog stuff n probably just put a holley 650 on it. It has a 351 Windsor engine in it now. If there was ever a need for keeping it simple it's with a plow truck. And there is no such thing as too much power. My 76 F-250 highboy has a bored 390, aluminum high rise with a 650 holley on top.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
So here I am putting together a new plow truck. A 1984 F-250 with a western plow from the 60s.
This is a new plow truck to me. And the window defroster heater even works in my new one.
I am ripping out the smog stuff n probably just put a holley 650 on it. It has a 351 Windsor engine in it now. If there was ever a need for keeping it simple it's with a plow truck. And there is no such thing as too much power. My 76 F-250 highboy has a bored 390, aluminum high rise with a 650 holley on top.
Did you say "HIGHBOY"?
there's someone in Colorado who'd be envious.

B4U get too far in check the front axle housing for cracks, usually around spring perch.
I wanna say right side was mine, (but that was awhile ago).
Since my father was a Mag Test Inspector I had to come up with a reason for this failure.
Back & Forth from plowing was my answer as it appears to break on back side of C.
When U get under there U'll see what I mean.

I did weld it and it was fine.

That truck broke every thing mechanical except the 460.
I did beat the poo out of it as I was in my early 20's and was it's original owner for 18 yrs.
Always started tho.

Attachments

• 20211016_201826.jpg
    20211016_201826.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211016_202022.jpg
    20211016_202022.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 15

Top Forums