Snow Plowing Forum banner

Keeping in touch with your drivers

2K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  creativedesigns 
#1 ·
What does everyone use to keep in touch with your drivers, cb's , cell phone, ather types of units. I have 7 trucks this season and want to beable to stay in contact with them all .

#2 ·
We use cell phones. They can be carried while outside the truck.

#4 ·
I'm thinkin of trying cheap CB's this year, that way everyone can hear what's going on. We use Nextel's now but how often have you tried to get someone and they're on the line or you need to tell three people the same thing - one call on the CB and everyone hears the same thing. Not to mention, the really bad nites and mornings when the customers are calling and it shoots straight to voice mail when you're using the two way.

#5 ·
Cb's are fine if your with in 2 miles of each other.... they dont work that well, and id be wishing u spent the money for the phones... i dont have that many times, when i have to tell every one the same thing, if thats the case, i think you should be training your guys more in their off time.

#6 ·
We had cells, then Mike's (your nextel) and now back to cells. I carry two, one for my guys to get a hold of me, one for clients or anyone else. I try to keep converstions short when talking to the guys, and I cancelled voicemail, and added call waiting, any calls i miss go to my pager.

We had countless problems with the Mike's, and I got frustrated, Our cell package allows for free incoming and free calling between my phones, so it works out alot cheaper (almost half of what i was paying before)

#7 ·
i highly recommend the bosst mobil, pay as you go... works great , super cheap ... can use both the 2-way , and phone

#10 ·
Im on a 3 year plan to change over to FM radios. Motorola has a new series out called Mototurbo. Its expensive but in the long run it pays for itself, because of no monthly fees.
I set up a base with a repeater and it will cover my whole area. The neat part is you can add a GPS locater and follow your equipment everywhere, without the extra monthly fees.

#11 ·
Neige;582811 said:
Im on a 3 year plan to change over to FM radios. Motorola has a new series out called Mototurbo. Its expensive but in the long run it pays for itself, because of no monthly fees.
I set up a base with a repeater and it will cover my whole area. The neat part is you can add a GPS locater and follow your equipment everywhere, without the extra monthly fees.
got any info on that?

#12 ·
Neige;582811 said:
Ran the 2 ways back in the 90's when we had 15 trucks going. Because all the drivers could hear the conversation it became a little more entertaining late at night (yes, there are some things you cant say without the FCC giving you visit) but it also helped keep all the drivers updated on who was behind or ahead and who was closest to lend a hand in one call versues spending time on a phone calling 2 or 3 drivers to get one headed in the right direction to help out.

#13 ·
If iI had to keep in contact with 7 trucks......assuming your not on the same location at all times, I would go with a Nextel type of phone. CB's dont get out very far, dialing a regular cell is a PITA and telegrams, well they just take too long,lol. The only other way I can think of is a UHF radio system but it cost some bucks. By the time you buy all the radios and a trunking system your probably into a few grand.

#14 ·
Crash935;582837 said:
Ran the 2 ways back in the 90's when we had 15 trucks going. Because all the drivers could hear the conversation it became a little more entertaining late at night (yes, there are some things you cant say without the FCC giving you visit) but it also helped keep all the drivers updated on who was behind or ahead and who was closest to lend a hand in one call versues spending time on a phone calling 2 or 3 drivers to get one headed in the right direction to help out.
We have 2-Ways in every vehicle we own. Some of them are 30 years old and still work fine. I think we have around 24 radio's and the license fee is around $35/radio/year. We only pay the license fee for 3 radio's though..:D

#16 ·
JohnnyRoyale;586271 said:
What kind of range do you get, and what's stopping anyone other than your 24 from hearing in?
You can pick our fequency up with any scanner, and the range from truck to truck, is about 25-50 miles depending on location. You can't get frequencies anymore because they're all gone, my dad bought the frequency back in the 70's.. Everyone has a cell phone anyway but these are handier for our operation. If we put our radio's on a repeater like Paul said, that would be sweet.

#17 ·
Neige;582811 said:
How expensive are you talking? I was looking at that system, and it looks nice. I get the feeling that its big money though. I would love to get a UHF system, but can'd justify the thousands of dollars for it.

#20 ·
elite1msmith;582791 said:
i highly recommend the bosst mobil, pay as you go... works great , super cheap ... can use both the 2-way , and phone
This is what i do also. The prepaid nextel phones cost $1.00 a day for unlimited 2-way, but only on the days you use it. You could even set up a talk-group so when you two way anyone, everyone hears it. WAY cheaper than actually buying a cell phone plan for $30+ a month, and when winter's over you're not left paying for a cell phone plan you don;t use all summer.

#21 ·
We are in a very mountainous area and the Motorola’s are the only way to go. Most were purchased used at a fraction of the cost new. Cells are nice but when the weather is bad and power goes out, they can’t be relied upon not to mention the dead spots from the terrain. The converted (base) mobiles have battery back ups for the power outages. I also purchased a used repeater which we have installed at a high point and have eliminated all of the dead spots. I still carry a cell, but that is mostly to communicate with my wife…

#22 ·
I have 4 trucks and a backhoe - we use 2 way radios. Been very happy with them. Can talk to anyone quickly and don't have to call them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.