1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kansas City Area - Ks & Mo

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rooster, Jan 1, 2003.

1. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

Yeah I went with dodge, they offered me a deal on my duramax that I couldn't pass up. I looked at the new duramax, but the price for one of those were more than I wanted to spend.

2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Robert Brogden are good guys. I REFUSE to go back to McCarthy, so I've taken my wife's car up to their service center a few times (recall fixes) and BSed with their sales guys. They're usually up at the Lowes lunches when they have them to advertise. AVOID McCarthy, whatever you do. Also heard on the radio today one of the Chevy dealers advertising a 5 year unlimited mile warranty. I'm sure there's a catch, but might be worth checking out. I assume that's on a new vehicle though.

Plowboy, congratulations on the new truck! Love the looks of the dodge trucks, hope she does good for you.

3. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Yeah the new duramax's are expensive for sure. The truck(s) were looking at are all four door short beds, 3500's with the 6.0 liter. Test drove the sierra model (basically work truck) and it was plenty for us. I've also looked at the 4500 dodges a little but I don't think I'd like that big of a truck, especially for plowing and going on vacation etc.

4. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

I looked at Chevy and ram, both gas and diesel. After driving a diesel and pulling trailers, it's hard to go back to a gas motor. Yes the cummins was more expensive, but if I'm going to spend that kinda money, I want to be happy with it. Dealer started throwing numbers at me and ended up with a tradesman crew cab short bed. Got a bumper to bumper 8 year 150,000 mile warranty. Went threw my first tank of fuel and got 17.1 mpg I thought that wasn't to bad on the first tank. Now just can't wait to put the camper behind it.

Ty27 and JMHConstruction like this.
  5. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

17 is better than what I've heard from my friends. Neighbor has a 4500 dodge cummins and he says that truck gets 10 with or without a load. I think it's geared low though.

I'm on the fense with the new diesels vs the gas engines.

6. JMHConstruction

Mine is not close to new, but is the chevy 6.0 gasser. Does fine for my needs, usually in town driving and short highway trips. I don't haul heavy loads often, but I have had 13k lbs behind me once and even though it dogged a bit, I got there. I usually haul half that, once every week or so.

I regret gas when I go on longer trips, but I still feel what I pay with less mpg makes up for the diesels expensive upfront costs and maintenance. I think with all the BS the diesels have these days that my next one will be gas again, especially since most of the newer diesels don't get great mpg's any more and they seem to all have issues.

7. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Yep, we've had a 5.9 cummins and a 6.0 power joke both take a crap on us. The two duramax trucks we've had (one a 2007, the current one a 2005) haven't had any issues so far, knock on wood. The 454 chevy 2500hd we have runs great, pulls great, I'm sold on it.

8. Snowtek

Snowtek Junior Member

I got called today about giving a bid for 18 grocery stores in the metro area. The guy said that it was a 1 inch trigger and they wanted all the lots treated with calcium instead of salt. I guess the previous guy used a ton of salt and sand and they aren't happy. Do you think 100 per lot for a push 1"-4" 4"-12" 150 is reasonable? I was going to charge 125 for the calcium. Are my numbers way off? Thanks

9. U1200

U1200 Member

Without knowing the acreage that's hard to say. I would go to 1.5x on a 4-8" and 2x on 8"+ however.

10. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

What grocery stores are they? Everyone being from Kansas City in here have probably been past them before and roughly know the size of the lot to give you a better answer.

JMHConstruction likes this.
  11. JMHConstruction

If you're charging 100 to plow, your de-icing numbers are WAY off. Price what you're going to use and figure price of product, Mark up, and all labor (loading time, spreading time, etc.).

I would ask why they aren't happy with the salt/sand. If I had to guess I'd say the contractor didn't clean up the sand after the season and they dealt with that all year. Locally, because of our temps, we don't really need much more than salt. I would talk to the manager/owner/whoever you talked to about why they didn't like the service, and go from there.

Another thing to consider, how far apart are these properties? Since they're all the same company I would guess there will be quite a bit of drive time between them. I would figure that into my price also.

Good luck

12. Snowtek

Snowtek Junior Member

The drive time will be a little bit of a hassle. The stores are as far south as Belton and as far north as Liberty. A lot of the stores are in pretty rough areas. The company is offering a there year contract. I figure with my 3 trucks we should be able to handle 18 lots pretty easy. And I plan on buying another loader before winter.

13. CurbKilla

CurbKilla Junior Member

JMHC gave sound advise. I second him. You have enough trucks. Do you have enough reliable drivers? I often end up carrying the load for no shows. It can become challenging and expensive. I don't know much about calcium however sounds like a pita. I also would ask whomever why the salt was not sufficient.

14. JMHConstruction

I was assuming it was just you. Figure your routes out and you should be able to handle that. As Curbkilla pointed out, make sure you're help is good. I know in the last few years it's been getting harder and harder to find help. To the point that this year I am going solo and ditching my sidewalk crew.

15. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

if you have to ask for help to give a bid for this big of a contract, you are not ready to handle it yet. These lots are spread way far out, it takes deep planning, coordination and communication to keep a contract this size happy. I may be wrong, but trust me, I've done contracts like this in Kansas City for 15 years. You can't just throw a number at them and hope it's good enough to make you money.

JustJeff likes this.
  16. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

No. This sounds ass backwards to me. How are three trucks going to cover 18 properties, all with a 1" trigger? That means that each truck is pushing 6 lots, correct? After the first three properties hit their trigger, what about the remaining 15 properties that also have a 1" trigger that aren't being serviced until there's a good 2-3 inches on the ground? And I've never seen a grocery store lot that I would only charge 100.00 for, unless it's some little 7-11 sized lot.

Ty27 likes this.
  17. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Exactly.

Ty27 likes this.
  18. JMHConstruction

Drive time will be the worst. In the...not so nice areas, the grocery stores can be small. I'm not sure about $100 small, but I haven't seen them. He's caught in a catch 22, if he uses more trucks he will spend more than he makes, UNLESS he can make different routes around the area. Maybe even sub a few accounts just to make up your route if you can.

One thing I didn't think about last night was sidewalks. How many crews will you have to handle the sidewalks?

19. Snowtek

Snowtek Junior Member

I have 2 trucks that would be doing the sidewalks. I will be using my regular crew to do this work as a way to keep them busy when it snows. You really can't do much rough in with snow on the ground.

20. JMHConstruction

Well we really haven't helped you much. If all the lots are basically the same (would have to be since the prices are the same), maybe you could post a screen shot from findlotsize.com to give us an idea on what you're looking at. Prices seem low to me, especially dealing with crazy grocery shopping before and during a storm. Without seeing the properties though, it's hard to say.