1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kansas City Area - Ks & Mo

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rooster, Jan 1, 2003.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

For an easy wiring, the LED wouldn't consume much power. You could tie into the spreader power and when the spreader in on your lights would be on.

2. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

I'm thinking about wiring it into the reverse lights on the trailer plug. If I wired it into the power wires on the spreader, if I needed them while plowing I would have to turn the spreader on. I do like the led lights. Time to go shopping tomorrow.

3. JMHConstruction

Only issue there would be when you're salting they wouldn't be on since you're not in reverse. You'll probably have to run wires to the cab with a 3 way switch like I did on the dodge. Maybe use a trailer plug or something in the rear so you can unplug them when the salter isn't on.

If you need, I can take pictures tomorrow on how I wired mine up with the relays, reverse wire, and switch. There is also a thread on here somewhere on how to do it.

4. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

I'm glad you brought that up, I think I'll just run wires from cab to rear, with a flat 4 trailer plug to unplug them when not in use.

5. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Sounds like a bad ice storm or snow storm next weekend. Looks like it will swing out of the southwest and head up toward us.

6. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

I've been hearing that too. I've heard the euro was predicting up to 2" of ice then some snow afterwards. Canadian model just a monster snow storm. Gfs is the dryer solution.

7. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

The 18z models- CFS model had a 12" snow here by Monday morning. I think the Canadian had a bit of snow, but not near as much. I don't know what the euro is saying. GFS didn't have much of anything I don't think.

8. JMHConstruction

Just watched a video on weather channel talking about ice for 3 days in Kansas City... I might have to invest in another good walk behind spreader. The last storm I think did my Earthway in.

9. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Sounds like it's going to be bad this weekend. They really won't know for sure til the storm comes on shore. Might go get a couple loads of sand to mix in with the salt for this go round. I don't want to run out of salt, especially if it's a 3 day event.

10. JMHConstruction

My back already hurts just thinking about it. Plus these are the storms my walk guys bail on me. Money is money though

11. JMHConstruction

How many tons do you guys keep on hand?

12. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

About 25 ton is all we can fit into the bin at one time. We need to extend it to the side more to get more stock piled in there. We use about 5 tons every time we salt all of our lots. So a storm like this might spread us thin a bit, which is why I'm thinking we should mix in sand to save salt.

13. JMHConstruction

With sand, do you have to clean it up after the season?

14. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

It washes away just like salt would. I would mix it as a 2:1 or a 3:1 ratio too so not much sand will be mixed in with the salt, but enough to slow down salt consumption.

And with this much ice, sand will give traction as soon as it is layed down on the ice until it melts.

15. JMHConstruction

Got it. Never messed with sand before. Wasn't sure what all was involved once it was down. Seemed like a mess, but sounds like it wouldn't be that bad if it washes away.

16. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Yeah, if you mix it right then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. We don't usually put sand down unless it's a big ice storm like their saying for this weekend. Sand does make it easier to see where you have been when salting a parking lot too.

17. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

Well it sounds like its not going to be a fun weekend. If I heard correctly maybe some freezing drizzle as early as tomorrow morning!

18. JMHConstruction

I got a call from the company I sub for. They said chance of freezing rain tonight (?) And then freezing rain and sleet this weekend. Maybe even enough sleet they'll have us plow it. We'll be ready for whatever hits. Wish there was a good snow mixed into this...

19. plowboy87

plowboy87 Senior Member

Yeah I think I'm going to load up just in case something happens in the morning.

20. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

I've heard continuous freezing rain starting Friday night and not ending til Sunday evening. Might get three or four apps of salt down from this.