Snow Plowing Forum banner
1981 - 1987 of 1987 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't do snowex. I run two of them right now and I'm just not a fan of them. The augers are just slow. Have to run at full material flow to really put any product down.
Appreciate the advice! I've seen a bunch of the snowex units around town so I figured that'd be the way to go. One thing I'm definitely going to regardless of the brand is an electric unit, would prefer to avoid messing with a gas engine at midnight.

·
Registered
58,640 Posts
@Mark Oomkes I know, we aren't a giant company, just temporary until we can get an electric Vbox spreader. Gotta start somewhere right?
I get it, just can't really comprehend it.

I started salting with a stainless steel Western tailgate spreader decades ago. The good old days of breaking 50# bags on the serrated cutter thing in snow, freezing rain, wind, cold, etc.

·
Registered
58,640 Posts
Appreciate the advice! I've seen a bunch of the snowex units around town so I figured that'd be the way to go. One thing I'm definitely going to regardless of the brand is an electric unit, would prefer to avoid messing with a gas engine at midnight.
There's quite a few threads on this subject. I have had 3 electric spreaders and 2 were absolute garbage. The Western Striker I have now (it's more of a backup and use it on a parking ramp with weight limitations) is a very good spreader.

Whatever you do, stay away from SaltMutt and Meyer/Swenson.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get it, just can't really comprehend it.

I started salting with a stainless steel Western tailgate spreader decades ago. The good old days of breaking 50# bags on the serrated cutter thing in snow, freezing rain, wind, cold, etc.
very quickly realized that in this last storm system we had, HUGE PITA. Upgrading asap, sure the vbox is more money but with the time we save having one we'd very quickly recuperate what we spent to buy one. Just emailed our dealer for a quote on the Hinker & saltdogg electric models.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's quite a few threads on this subject. I have had 3 electric spreaders and 2 were absolute garbage. The Western Striker I have now (it's more of a backup and use it on a parking ramp with weight limitations) is a very good spreader.

Whatever you do, stay away from SaltMutt and Meyer/Swenson.
I've been reading through as many as I can, literally hundreds lol. Our two Meyer plows are ok for what we are doing, not my preferred choice but I'm planning on getting our other two trucks wired up for Boss blades this year.

·
Registered
58,640 Posts
I've been reading through as many as I can, literally hundreds lol. Our two Meyer plows are ok for what we are doing, not my preferred choice but I'm planning on getting our other two trucks wired up for Boss blades this year.
I wouldn't buy a Meyer plow, but I have far more faith in one of their plows than their spreaders.

·
Registered
36 Posts
World Map Yellow Font Line
I am looking to sub out the sites on the map. We've serviced these sites for a few years. They want service. Pre-treat, push during storm, clean-up after storm, post-salting. I am trying to condense our routes and these locations are our outliers. I can send the full list with pricing and pay structure. Let me know if you're interested. Jeff Wolfert, Lighthouse Landscape, 913-449-8881, [email protected]

1981 - 1987 of 1987 Posts