Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
I would guess I'll be back out again tonight. No sun today, so everything will still be wet. I'm sure there will be quite a bit of black ice in the morning.

Looks like chances for Thursday are dropping...:cry:
Yea I already have clients asking to be salted before morning but still trying to find bulk salt to load up with. Didn't think it would be that difficult with everyone having salt for a few years now.

· Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, got a call tonight to start salting at 7am....
They're worried about salt getting washed out. All I could think was refilling at 7 and 8 in the morning. My 1 1/2 - 2 hour route is going to easily be doubled. Probably more, more of that time is from driving to fill up....

Oh well. Hopefully we get enough to plow. I need those checks to start rolling in. Gary, in his blog, made it sound like we have chances for a few more this weekend too.
Surprise they want you to start so early with the amount of rain in the forecast and the time till freezing.

· Registered
23 Posts
@WolfertInc have you had any issues with your spreader freezing this year? The 2 guys I know with the snowex like yours have been freezing up bad for some reason. Just curious if you're seeing the issues too, or if those guys are just letting it sit too long
Our snowex spreader has been horrible sense the mines are have been providing more lime size salt. A lot of bridging.

· Registered
23 Posts
We buy in bulk throughout the winter. Normally stock up 25-30 ton in the fall then keep it stocked throughout the winter. We used to order bulk through kansas salt, but now we buy in bulk truck loads (our own dump truck) through RL Hannah.
Whats hannah charging you this year? I haven't call them yet down in hv. They had fines last year which clogged up real bad.

· Registered
23 Posts
It was awesome! We had all of our guys out at 4:00am, definitely going to invest in a couple snowex/saltdogg vbox spreaders as it's getting to be a pain doing everything with the lesco push spreaders for salting. Also one of the few times I've seen many spin outs on the hiways due to the ice buildup before it snowed. Would love another storm to!
I wouldn't do snowex. I run two of them right now and I'm just not a fan of them. The augers are just slow. Have to run at full material flow to really put any product down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts