Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been working for someone else for the last three years doing snow removal just shoveling and pushing snow blowers and driving a plow truck . Now I have my own plow truck a 1/2 with a v plow And I’m not 100% sure what I should be receiving an hourly

· Registered
760 Posts
I've been working for someone else for the last three years doing snow removal just shoveling and pushing snow blowers and driving a plow truck . Now I have my own plow truck a 1/2 with a v plow And I'm not 100% sure what I should be receiving an hourly
Sometimes you just gotta figure it out

How much expenses do you have?
Fuel , payments, insurance, budget for repairs and replacement etc etc

How many hours are average per season in your area?

Divide your projected costs by the number of guessed hours add in your own desired hourly pay... add percentage for profit... it might not be the "right" number but it gives you somewhere to start

(12 hours per storm ... 15 storms a year is 180 billable hours... 25,000 worth of expenses divided by 180 is $139 an hour... hope you don't have that much in expenses or you'll never get anywhere!)

· Registered
1,141 Posts
I've been working for someone else for the last three years doing snow removal just shoveling and pushing snow blowers and driving a plow truck . Now I have my own plow truck a 1/2 with a v plow And I'm not 100% sure what I should be receiving an hourly
And you decided starting in Jan is the way to do this with pretty much 99% of all places of business already under contract.

Here's a hint, start approaching potential clients towards the end of July.

As for the pay, tpendagast is giving you some good examples there.

I would suggest subbing out for the rest of this season and getting your ducks in a row.

Search and read the posts here for a better understanding

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Yes I am subing out this year but I'm trying to figure out a hourly rate this year so I know I'm not being screwed over. Also I'm Not sure what all insurances and what not I need to sub and be a private contractor
You'll need to get a commercial truck policy that will cover your truck .If you get your own jobs you will need a commercial liability policy that will cover your operation,things like slip and falls.If you have a business setup already than check with your agent to see if snowplowing is included.When I started out I subbed, I was covered under the contractors liability for things like slip and falls.But my truck policy would cover things like me hitting a car or building etc.Still don't know your market though.

· Registered
27 Posts
I actually am doing really well starting out late this season, just depends on the circumstances. We had local contractor bail on lots of accounts this year. I have been doing $100+ clean ups for folks that have had 3-4 snows and are starting to get stuck in their driveways. Hourly is $120 and I am busy almost everyday catching up. Most of these clean up jobs have become regulars and very few around here want anything to do with annual contracts. That in fact drove some customers to me.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The guy you're subbing for doesn't require proof of insurance?...dc area, I'd say subbing should be at or north of $85/hour as a ballpark. WITH proper coverage. But every situation is different.
We've only had one storm where I'm at and yes he does ask for proof of insurance.I'm just asking around before I approach the guy I'm Subbing from so he doesn't get over on me due to me low balling a price out of ignorance.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
I actually am doing really well starting out late this season, just depends on the circumstances. We had local contractor bail on lots of accounts this year. I have been doing $100+ clean ups for folks that have had 3-4 snows and are starting to get stuck in their driveways. Hourly is $120 and I am busy almost everyday catching up. Most of these clean up jobs have become regulars and very few around here want anything to do with annual contracts. That in fact drove some customers to me.
Right place, right time but you can't depend on that happening all the time.

· Registered
1,141 Posts
And that is why when asking for information it is best to state everything.

Post title:
Just started a company looking for pricing advice

I was subbing and Now I have my own plow truck a 1/2 with a v plow And I'm not 100% sure what I should be receiving an hourly.

Combine the two.

So in fact your looking for prices for subbing with your own truck, that's a bit different than starting a company.

Prices vary state to state and even within the state for subs.

Average is between $50 and $85 depending on your truck and plow.

Ask the guy you have been working with how much he will pay.

If the price is right for you then take it.

· Registered
14,949 Posts
We've only had one storm where I'm at and yes he does ask for proof of insurance.I'm just asking around before I approach the guy I'm Subbing from so he doesn't get over on me due to me low balling a price out of ignorance.
Something AINT right.
As was posted, you said you started a company and want to know the prices?
Now your subbing and dont wanna get screwed on prices?
And you have no insurance?

Reactions: BossPlowLady

· Registered
53 Posts
For what its worth ...
T&M rate :$125.00 per hr. per unit on each property .add .65% on material used
Youll nevergive it away or get hurt .
If you dont get the job or bid , walk away bc you cant lose what you never had .
Let the lowballers have at it . When the crap hits the fan , sit back and watch pure misery at ts finest . jmo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.