Snow Plowing Forum banner

just bought a truck, should I put a plow on it???

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  SnoFarmer 
#1 ·
Hello everyone:
I have been a member of various forums, but not of this one and I am new to the snow removal industry. I just bought a used Chevy Silverado 1500 for work/personal use and would like to put a plow in front of it. My Lawn and landscape business is in the fledgling stage, as I work full time in a similar industry. The truck was used, with 97000 miles on it, one owner and I was told he was an old farmer who drove it around very little. Doing the math, its like 6400 miles per year, and there is no proof of a beat up truck bed or plow abuse.
On to the topic at hand. I would like to put a plow in front of this truck. I also would like to beef up the front end a bit ( iv heard this is important in most cases) and also do not foresee keeping this truck for the rest of my life. I bought this truck because my explorer was having transmission and electrical problems that I didn't want to deal with sinking money into a losing proposition. As of now, I only have 2 paid driveways in town, and my own. I don't need anything too serious and would like to keep the cost down as I am not taking out any loans to fund this business.
I would like to get something middle of the road; something that is dependable yet financially on par with a small start-up. Hopefully down the road I will be investing more, but as for now, I need something residential. I looked at the "homesteader" from Fisher but it looked too easy...
Any suggestions would be great as I am wrecking myself pushing and shoveling as of now!!!!! I have an old fickle snow blower that I leave in my driveway; it's more time-efficient to shovel than it is to try and start that beast.

Thank you in advance!!

See less See more
#3 ·
2 drives, isn't worth a plow in my opinion. Honestly 2 drives isn't worth even going into business for, after insurance and overhead you will be in the hole. I don't know if you can, but I'd skip it this year. It's a little late to be starting anyway. Next year get more places and let your amount of business decide whether to get a plow or not. Unless you get a bunch more places I wouldn't get anything but a blower and shovels. If you're going to spend money on a plow don't waste it on "homeowner plows" get a legit plow. Do a search on here, everyone has asked about plows on half tons (including myself unfortunately). Look into insurance if you get a plow, you'll be surprised. Also get a business plan and figure out exactly how you're going to run a business. Read as much info as your brain can take,learn from our mistakes, and good luck.

#4 ·
Good advice above. If it were me, I'd just spend the money on a better blower. It would help you personally and make doing those other two drives easier and faster for you.

#5 ·
Maybe you can expand homsteader is garbage get a sd or ht

#6 · (Edited)
If your looking to do it as a business then the insurance and biz plan etc are the way to go. Two driveways is not a business...

My reason for getting a plow was simply being tired of snowblowing. I had picked up a ginormous $700 snowblower. Used it twice and said F this... Sold to my bud at a $50 loss. Looked hard at all the half ton plows and ended up with a snowdogg MD75. Installed om my Mountaineer it was somewhere under $3500. Moved it to my Ram ($250 found a used ram mount here). I get up hit remote start the heat is on and truck is warm before I get in. That was six maybe 7 years ago and just doing a few drives for friends or friends mothers etc it has more than paid for it self. I was even after year two. Have put no wear and tear parts into the truck yet. Just keeps working. Only thing I bought was a timbrens, decent light and added a backdrag blade.

You can baby step into plowing. I would get a mid weight 8' to start knowing what I know now(no 1/2 ton v blades were around at the time) . If you really want it to be a business then pop for a heavier straight blade or a 1/2 ton V blade.

I'm partial to Snowdogg but then that's what I bought initially and it has never failed me. Get what you can get good support on if your going commercial.

my .02

#9 ·
western is great the midwieght esp i stay away from used you dont wanna other peoples problems

#10 ·
Ive always said don't buy what you need now, buy what you'll need down the road.

Mid-weight is a excellent choice for a half ton and would work for a 3/4 once ur business expands.

#11 ·
1olddogtwo;2096907 said:
Ive always said don't buy what you need now, buy what you'll need down the road.
X2 this goes gor trucks too, get more truck than you need.

A1/2 ton will easily and quickly be over burdened by the load you carry and tow.

#13 · (Edited)
Sure, you can drive a spike with a tack hammer when used correctly
but why?

When there is a proper tool for the job.

This applies for both the truck and plow.

gee, then get a 5 ton.....
if the job call for it.pumpkin:
but then I wouldn't get a 1ton to do the job of a 5ton.....
or a 5ton to do the job a 1 or a 3/4 ton can handle with out beating on it.

and remember time is money, so take it easy and you will be fine,
or get a truck and plow that can make the money.

yea, you'd get all 1/2 :laughing::laughing:

flame suite on, all of the 1/2 tone users can :angry: now.

This is my jmo and experiences your business plain may differ
so may your training and how you were raised..:drinkup::waving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.