Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
17,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experiences with a John Deere 2520? Likes/ Dislikes/ Common issues?

I know someone who is looking to sell one and I just don't know much about the newer Deeres. It is a lawn mower 2520 not a chore tractor 2520.

It is a one owner 2012 with 350 hours. Has a 200cx loader and a drive over 62" deck. He wants $11K. Seems like a pretty fair deal.

I would be buying it for my dad so he has a little loader tractor for chores. He currently has a 4100 lawn mower so if he won't part with that (which is the likely case) at least I can pull the loader off the this unit and put it on is 4100, and re sell the 2520.

The other question that I had is it seems to be a 3 cylinder Yanmar which is the same thing that is in his 4100. 4100 is 19hp and this is 25 or 27? Do the just de-tune the same motor for all the same mowers or is there a displacement difference?

· Registered
7,844 Posts
If he’s using it as a glorified lawn mower...price a new 1025 before you buy a used 2 series. Deere seems to enjoy pricing these tractors cheap for market share purposes.

The 1 series tractors have the auto connect option, are a little smaller so easier to get around, and new vs 7-8 years old should be worth something...

· Registered
17,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If he's using it as a glorified lawn mower...price a new 1025 before you buy a used 2 series. Deere seems to enjoy pricing these tractors cheap for market share purposes.

The 1 series tractors have the auto connect option, are a little smaller so easier to get around, and new vs 7-8 years old should be worth something...
I only want the loader.... He has no need for a brand new lawn mower.

· Registered
58,697 Posts
Being a Deere, the loader probably won't work on the newer tractor...just so you have to buy a new one.

· Registered
15,547 Posts
Anyone have any experiences with a John Deere 2520? Likes/ Dislikes/ Common issues?

I know someone who is looking to sell one and I just don't know much about the newer Deeres. It is a lawn mower 2520 not a chore tractor 2520.

It is a one owner 2012 with 350 hours. Has a 200cx loader and a drive over 62" deck. He wants $11K. Seems like a pretty fair deal.

I would be buying it for my dad so he has a little loader tractor for chores. He currently has a 4100 lawn mower so if he won't part with that (which is the likely case) at least I can pull the loader off the this unit and put it on is 4100, and re sell the 2520.

The other question that I had is it seems to be a 3 cylinder Yanmar which is the same thing that is in his 4100. 4100 is 19hp and this is 25 or 27? Do the just de-tune the same motor for all the same mowers or is there a displacement difference?
I know little about the JD compact tractors but, I have been looking up specs when I see one for a reasonable price, because I'm considering buying one.
BTW, that's a good price by comparison.
Here's what I found:
The 2520 is narrower than his 4100.
Another thing is the total pump flow of the 2520. Is double that of his 4100.
Not sure if this matters to you.
I have more questions than answers on this matter. Lol

· Registered
17,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know little about the JD compact tractors but, I have been looking up specs when I see one for a reasonable price, because I'm considering buying one.
BTW, that's a good price by comparison.
Here's what I found:
The 2520 is narrower than his 4100.
Another thing is the total pump flow of the 2520. Is double that of his 4100.
Not sure if this matters to you.
I have more questions than answers on this matter. Lol
Out with these questions then...

· Registered
17,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well... I suppose.

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

So this machine has not even been started in the past year, I has not been moved in a few years. Three point would not drop, even when the bucket of the skid loader pushing down on the quick hitch as advised by a Deere mechanic.

Pulled the draft control speed valve all apart and found a cartridge that was stuck, cleaned and freed that up and the arms move properly now.

Anyone know if this a common issue from non use with these lawn mowers or do I have a bigger problem waiting in the wings?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.