Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We use two JD 5085 tractors with inverted blowers as part of our operation. They are outside all season and plugged in. For some time this winter the units, once started, do not want to move. It seems that by working the hydraulics for some time they will begin to move and then all is well. A JD tech was out and did not find any stored codes. Both are five seasons old. Any thoughts?

· Registered
2,598 Posts
I assume that it is shared hydraulic and transmission fluid, as is common in most tractors these days.

Your fluid is cold, and the valves in the transmission don't want to move and shift until it warms up a bit. As you move the hydraulics, it does exactly that - it warms up the fluid through mechanical action.

I'd be willing to bet that your hydraulics are sluggish at first and then get better as well, and you might have some hydraulic pump noise.

It's possible you might have some restriction in a filter, but that would most likely cause it to work more slowly, but not stop altogether.

I'd get a heating pad for the transmission pan.

These guys used to be wolverine....
https://phillipsandtemro.com/solutions/specialty/pad-heaters/

· Registered
60,321 Posts
How long do you let them warm up?

I'm usually in a half hour to hour earlier than the crews so everything is warming\warmed up by then.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
The viscosity of the Hydraulic oil makes a difference in cold weather operations...We have warmers on the tanks on several pieces of equipment and trucks
We used about 5 gal of universal fluid after a bad leak in our 5085. After that on a very cold morning the hydros were stuck. Barely got them to move. No issues previously. The other Deere with factory John Deere hydro oil has had no problems on cold start up. I'm going to change back to John Deere (liquid gold $$) fluid in that 5085.

· Registered
9,023 Posts
We used about 5 gal of universal fluid after a bad leak in our 5085. After that on a very cold morning the hydros were stuck. Barely got them to move. No issues previously. The other Deere with factory John Deere hydro oil has had no problems on cold start up. I'm going to change back to John Deere (liquid gold $$) fluid in that 5085.
Liquid Gold??....That's what I call Budweiser

· Registered
1,391 Posts
I've never had a problem with the 6105D I had for 3 years or the 6115M this season. Tractors are always plugged in, idle for at least 15 minutes then I turn on the pto and let the oil in the gearbox on the blower loosen up for about 10 min before going to work.

Always use John Deere Hy-Gard oil, never cheap out on a less expensive brand. I've read many farmers and now of problems at the dealer with tractors brought in for repair where people would switch out to save money but end up hurting the transmission down the road.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
We use only the spendy JD oil as well.

· Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of good comments here. FYI, we only use the appropriate JD filters and JD hydraulic oil. The oddity here is the two machines we use both have the issue and did not occur before this winter. One is owned by myself and the other is leased. JD was contacted and they are suggesting a complete hydraulic oil change which will include cleaning the "suction screen". Apparently this cleanable screen can clog. So that is scheduled for Monday. After that is completed we will park them outdoors and see if that procedure works. If not.... warming blankets, etc. Any additional comments are appreciated.

· Registered
224 Posts
I have my tractor plugged in and let it run for at least 20 minutes with the pto engaged. I know its not the safest practice but I am a one man show so no one is around.

· Registered
43 Posts
Herm, for years I had a problem with a new holland skid steer that would act up when it was cold. I thought the small amount of moisture in the hydro system would Ice up the intake screen. I flushed the hydro system several times and replaced the filters and would still have the issue. I was sick and tried of cleaning the screen it was like a gelled filter clog. 3 years ago I dumped a bottle of the red diesel 911 in the hydro tank and have not had a problem since. I am no chemist but I have had zero issues and it solved my problem without any observed issues.

· Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update. Yesterday our JD tech came out and changed the hydraulic fluid and both filters which includes the suction screen. In addition he to flow and pressure readings which he sent on to Deere. Afterwards one machine stayed parked indoors and the other outdoors. It was single digits overnight and the problem persists.

· Registered
60,321 Posts
Update. Yesterday our JD tech came out and changed the hydraulic fluid and both filters which includes the suction screen. In addition he to flow and pressure readings which he sent on to Deere. Afterwards one machine stayed parked indoors and the other outdoors. It was single digits overnight and the problem persists.
On both machines?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.