1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is Fisher the best plow to go with?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cpr, Sep 4, 2004.

1. cpr

cpr Junior Member

I just bought a new 2004 GMC 2500hd w 6.6 duramax and I am trying to decide what brand of plow to place on it. I have an older frink snow plow on an 1994 GMC with the pump under the hood, the past three years I have also been running a 1999 fisher 7'6" plow on an 1996 GMC 1/2 ton. I prefer the fisher over the frink now. The minute mount system is so convenient I don't think that I want to go to another brand. I am looking at a 8'6" fisher v plow, how much time will plowing with a v plow save me? I am also looking at putting a snow-ex 1 yard salter on the truck, I have ran the snow-ex tailgate salter in the past. any comments?

2. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

If it were me I would get the vee plow, and I think Fisher has the best V. Depending on what you plow and if you get wet heavy snow a lot you will probably prefer the V. As for the spreader my friend has the snow-ex salter and loves it. :drinkup:

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

The Fisher Ez-v will cut about 30-40% off your plow time for lots, especially those lots that requiring stacking the snow at one location, because in the scoop position the plow carries a lot of snow. If your doing only drives it wouldn't make a big difference as your usually only casting to one side or the other. I have a 9.5 EZ-V, and would recommend it if your doing mostly commercial lots, mine was on a 2500 Dodge and is going on my new 3500 SRW GMC. Also like the Snow -ex spreader, and am going to a 6000 from the 1875 tailgate unit as I need more capacity. Do a search here under trynex/snow-ex there's some good information on them, also do a search under V-plow there's lots of info here to..
    Bill

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you might wanna try the new ultra mount westen vee plows

5. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

How about this plow!!!!! This is an 04 chevy3500 with the duramax.

6. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

7. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd go with a Fisher V :D :nod:

8. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

plow

Nice Blizzard! Are you happy with the way it works? I need to find another plow to do a 4 acre lot and have been looking at the blizzard, but i dont know anyone with one.a lot of headaches with the mechanicals?

9. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

I just got it put on two weeks ago so i will let you know this winter. :D

10. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice Blizzard! Are you happy with the way it works? I need to find another plow to do a 4 acre lot and have been looking at the blizzard, but i dont know anyone with one.a lot of headaches with the mechanicals?

The Blizzards work great. I know a landscaper in RI who ran one last year and is putting 2 more in his fleet. He has 8611 on a 550 ford dump truck. He loves the plows. PM me if you need more information.

11. Ripple

Ripple Member

fisher

I like Fisher and I have one.
    I got the FisherEZV 8'6" on my 2003 3500 Duramax

12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

If you prefer red over yellow you could get a western, other than that they are the same. The fisher mount is very easy to use, westerns mount is easy too but other than that they are the same. They arnt BSing when they say minute mount.

Have a 9'6" fisher V. Really like it. Make sure you get the new fishstick, dont get the one with the mode button. They work fine they are just more of a PITA.

Have a set of cutting edges set aside for you. Get a conveyor belt deflector made for it or spend a bunch of money and buy a comercialy made one. Make sure you dont lift the blade with the kickstand down, it really Fs things up and you gota whack the deal a couple times with a hammer cuz you will probably bend it :eek:

Dont even look at a boss v IMO, the rest of thier stuff is fine though.

13. Ripple

Ripple Member

Hey Rat

Gradyghost from dieselplace....I lost my account here due to new email address.
    Anyways...what are you useing for a salt spreader?
    Have you ever seen the pics of my plow on my truck?

14. gpin

gpin Senior Member

CPR: The Fisher is a great plow. I would start at the dealer closest to your home or yard. Service makes the difference between profit and loss if you have problems with your equipment. In the 20 + years I have been pushing snow, I have found that most of my plows had problems in the 1st few uses and once they were tweaked the problems were minimal.

15. ratlover

from IL

Run dumps with spreaders and gas V boxes. Spread rock salt and or cinderers or a mix depending on the customer. Mostly straight salt

Dont believe I've seen picks of your truck with the plow. I really need to get some pics of mine. Maybe Ill just pull up behind it and do some poseing, or would that make me a dork :rolleyes:

16. Ripple

Ripple Member

pictures

well thats what I did so I know I am a dork'
    I just ordered a proflo2....supposedly I can run any material through it...I'll let you know how it works out?

17. ratlover

from IL

Duno if you have ran a spreader before but some helpfull tips. Best thing is to keep the truck loaded with material in a somewhat heated garage if you have access. If you have to leave it sit outside and it has material in it(try not to let it hang out all the time with material in it) put a tarp over it. If you are going to run cinders or sand a wee bit of salt mixed in there will help ileviate freeze ups of material. It really sucks to have a load of stuff get wet and turn to a brick. Staight salt can even do this if it gets realy wet. Also not a bad idea to run your hopper empty after a storm and hose it out at the same time you hose off your truck and plow. And then blast all the moving stuff plow and all with some spray lithium grease or chain lube(anything thick, wd40 or pb blaster sucks for this) Dielectric grease is your frined too.

Some customers demand no salt thoguh(manufacturing places that cant have salt tracted in and screwing up the product) so watch out for this.

Cinders and salt act the same when spreading, we dont spread sand but that can be a bit different I believe.

we spread a mix of rock salt and bagged on the sidewalks, the bagged salt works better at melting but dosnt seem to have the staying power of rock, plus rock salt is a bit cheaper.

Salt and cinders is bought in bulk and stored at the shop. The dumps are generaly bladeless and just salting(more efficent this way) but sometimes we throw the blades on em. International single axel ex-state trucks BTW Nice to have the guys salting just worring about salting and able to bounce around and hit what needs to be hit and the guys that are plowing just plowing.