Inverted blower guys... what is your plan

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by snopushin ford, Jan 21, 2020.

1. snopushin ford

snopushin ford Senior Member
    from mass

So my question is what is your plan if you get a huge dump of snow? I know the tractors around 100hp can handle a lot of snow but what happened in Newfoundland made me start thinking. Lets hear what ya got! I keep debating on getting a rear facing blower.

2. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

I don’t have one, but I think all they can really do is make sure you have a FEL on it and then slowly knock down the drifts with the FEL and then blow away what you’ve knocked down.

I’ve seen videos where bulldozers and excavators are used.

Sometimes there’s just too much snow.....

3. JoshA

JoshA Junior Member

Blow early, blow often.

Otherwise I agree, just like everything else except a rear facing blower, life would be quite a struggle in that kinda snow!

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

FEL reduces the maneuverability of a tractor\blower combo. A Vplow is OK, but more than that anything off the front sucks. Always watching to make sure you're not hitting mailboxes, garbage containers, cars, etc.

I don't think anyone is going to work through 1.5"/hour snowfall rates and winds in excess of 80 MPH. It just isn't safe or wise.

These are basically once in a lifetime storms and normal snow management does not apply. No one reasonable is going to expect a clear driveway within 12-24 hours.

Back in '78, my dad used a front end loader to clear his driveways, after he was done with his commercials. The loader cleared the majority of it, a truck finished it.

Plowing with the storm in a case like this is as much a misnomer as any other major storm. Or zero tolerance.

You'd probably want to run in tandem because it's not a matter of possibly getting stuck, you will get stuck. So maybe a loader and blower. Or a tractor with a FEL and blower and one with just a blower. It's still going to be slow going no matter what.

512high likes this.
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

2 birds. .

512high and jonniesmooth like this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

I don't see any birds, just a tractor and blower.

m_ice and Mr.Markus like this.
  7. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

would use it to break up those high drifts; saw pictures in the news that looked about 15’ high. FEL would work it like a pile of dirt. V plow wouldn’t cut it.

8. Mark Oomkes

9. Mark Oomkes

10. OP
    OP
    snopushin ford

from mass

I think using the loader and blower would be my choice. I have a loader attachment and i also run chains on the front so i think i could do it. Its only more time right?? I just do 56 driveways but some are over 1000' long. I guess if a storm like that happened to me it sur would make some good stories.

HadiCoop likes this.
  11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I had a bad storm a couple of years ago, we received 80 cm's which would be just over 2 & 1/2 feet. And that doesn't include the drifting. I made it through with my 92" Normand inverted but it certainly helped that I had a 6 series JD so the blower was off the ground higher. That storm was so bad that the city had shut down and pulled plows off the street. 0 visibility, I remember after the winds died down and the city began plowing the streets, the amount of snow that was at the mouth of the driveway was so high that I had to lock in my rear differential to try and climb up it in order to pull it with the blower. I still just have my pull blowers but do look from time to time for a good used push blower.

St.John's Newfoundland can get some very serious storms, it's called the rock for a reason. Prince Edward Island does as well.

12. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

I see 2 big piles of snow at the garage door.

Mr.Markus and Mark Oomkes like this.
  13. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a tractor with a FEL and rear conventional blower. I think it’s really the best setup for big storms like the one we just got over the weekend and great for light snowfalls. Inverted blowers are great for staying on top of things, but sometimes you just get hammered and you can’t keep up and I hear if you don’t have a big enough tractor with a lot of horsepower, your almost better off with a conventional blower. You still have to back into the driveway with an inverted blower, where as with a conventional your still backing in, but your blowing on your way in instead of on the way out and your not packing down the snow either. Even with a small tractor you could handle a big storm, obviously it would take longer though.

It’s probably not safe either to be out in a storm like what NL just got. Sometimes you just gotta wait until it stops, the town was shut down anyways so nobody was going anywhere. This is where a rear conventional blower would shine or a bi-directional. And if you have a FEL, you can use your bucket or straight blade/box blade if needed.

I think it all really depends on the driveways you have that determines the piece of equipment or combination of equipment. Tractors are way better for snow removal than trucks, just my opinion though. Do not miss my plow truck one bit!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    jonniesmooth and Mark Oomkes like this.
  14. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth PlowSite.com Addict

And removing those isn't included in the contract if it's in meatchicken, other areas may vary.
    Sidebar: did I use " meatchicken" correctly? I feel I may have overstepped my range here, as I don't neccesarily belong to the OG club here. Forgive me if I have stepped out of line.

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

The only thing holding up my plow truck is the number of newbs driving tractors throughout town holding up traffic...
    We get it...trucks are for getting coffee cause who wants to spend 30 minutes driving around the corner in a tractor....

jonniesmooth, Kvston and Mark Oomkes like this.
  16. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

If he wasn’t going as fast, the piles might not have been that big. If we left piles like that in our area, we’d be fired no doubt. To me, that’s just a piss poor job anyways. Must be doing it cheap...

this is where having a front end loader helps to get as close as possible (within inches) to the garage door and pull the snow away and leave it looking nice. If I have to get and do the walkway, I’ll quickly clean up the little strip of snow in front of the garage, it takes an extra 5 seconds and I’m already out of the cab so it keeps the client happy.

Depending on how much snow there is, let’s say a couple inches, I’ll pull all of it down to the road, spin around and then blow it up onto the lawn. If there’s a foot like we got over the weekend, I’ll just blow the whole driveway, spin around right in their driveway pull away from the garage all drifting or piles left from the blower and quickly push it off to the side. Another method is to drive in and back drag with the FEL the length of the machine or halfway down the driveway, and then blow on your way out. This way you wouldn’t have to turn around in their driveway or (depending on machine size) on the road. There again, it all comes down to what your doing. I have a smaller tractor which is awesome in tight areas. It works well for what I’m doing and I find it’s very versatile. You really just have more options.

17. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

I think the newbs are onto something with the tractors, like a lot of other bigger companies all over as well. By the way, I get coffee with my tractor.

Trucks have their downsides, and so do tractors. I’m sure you need your truck because your route may be spread out. Obviously this is where the travel speed of a truck will shine. I only do in town, so a tractor is the cats ass!

512high likes this.
  18. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I found a photo that was taken back about this time in 1992. Moncton, New Brunswick saw 160 cm of snow fall in 72 hours. That's over 5 feet total accumulation. Gives you an idea of just out of nowhere how things can get very serious. This area less than two hours east of me is known for storms like this. 16298858_618332061710481_4643223904435314882_n.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    snopushin ford

from mass

wow thats crazy!! I do want to experience something like that in my lifetime. Do you have a rear facing blower?

20. Mark Oomkes

No you don't.