Interesting new truck/plow breakdown

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ratherbfishin, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:34 PM.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

So I turned to “the dark side”( as my buddy put it) and bought a Ford. 32 years in business and always had GM’S‍♂️ I came to realize, regular cab GM trucks in 2019 are nearly nonexistent!
    Last night, off I go in my new 2019 f350 with Fisher SS XV2...about a hour or so into the storm, suddenly the plow won’t lift!
    I tried/ checked the basics....fluid, electrical connections, on & off at the controller, etc.
    All to no avail!
    Stressed & pressed for time, I was forced to dismount & leave my 1 hour old plow in the parking lot (yikes)& go get the backup truck.
    I returned after the storm, mounted up, jacked her up, chained up & off to the dealer.
    Apparently I was #3 this morning with all the same symptoms on brand new plows.
    Metal was found in the lift solenoid in all three plows!
    More snow tonight & the problem is solved!

2. dfdlamson52

dfdlamson52 Junior Member

I was just going to post the same issue on my xv2 this morning. The plow was lifting normal then all of a sudden the piston would try and lift then almost give up. What do I have to do? Do they have to replace the lift solenoid or? I havent had a chance to pull it in the shop yet.

3. rick W

rick W Senior Member

Nothing sucks more than brand new big $ equip that lets you down. I have a relative that worked heavy construction, brand new $300K loader he was operating went down in the middle of a busy highway job, blocking traffic, boss lost his sh#t. Complete cluster for many hours on 2 day old machine and cost all thousands in lost work, grief etc. Turned out it was a stupid safety switch. $10 part on brand new top of the line machine.... Stupid. Good luck.

4. OP
    OP
    ratherbfishin

New plow? Same exact symptoms as mine. I took all the weight off the lift arm and she had all it could do to lift it!
    Yes, replace that solenoid! I also requested the flush the fluid. All on them, but only 1 hour of use! They must of had a real bad run of those solenoids!
    Probably came from China!

ToMang07 likes this.
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I had the same issue last year with my 9.6 XV2, it was to the point that my dealer sent me a bunch of S3 vlaves to keep on hand, I had to change them out like a toddlers diaper, literally. Dealer did a full break down and flush eventually, it rectified the issue in the end. I'm picking up my new plow this week....it better not be a repeat of last year.

JFon101231 likes this.
  6. RepoMan207

from Maine

It's not the valves, it's the valve bodies not being flushed properly after being bored and milled. Fragments gets left in it, it gets assembled, then we operate them, and the fragments become shrapnel to the valves.

JFon101231 likes this.
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I Still think its Carma...for giving up on GM for Ford!

8. dfdlamson52

Are these something i can take off and clean or replace? Ive honeslty never had to do a thing to a plow besides fluid change and hoses.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

If your plow is a used & proven, for more than a season, I would think it's not the same issue. Just like the OP, I had the issue within the first driveway it touched. What do you have for a plow, what year is it?

10. OP
    OP
    ratherbfishin

Your making me nervous!

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

All I got to say is, if this is a wide spread problem already, go buy a couple before they're sold out. Get 2 appropriate sized sockets, ratchet, rags, funnel, fluid, flashlight & some disposable mechanics gloves. It takes 10 minutes on the side of the road, damn dealer will hold you up for hours waiting in line, and that's IF it happens during a weekday. They'll reimburse you everytime that you bring in a used junk valve. It sucks that we have to get our hands dirty on these new expensive plows, but it's better than pissing off customers and losing time.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

....alternatively, take it to the dealer and insist on a full flush, cylinders, valve body, lines...all of it, that's what rectified mine. Fisher approved a new power unit if it didn't work, but it didn't come to that. 9 valves later anyway lol

13. dfdlamson52

I bought the plow last year xv2 but I only use it to plow my lot so it has minimal use. I’ve never had a problem with it until today. Seems to angle and v no problem but when you go to lift the piston will raise enough to take the slack out out of the chain. Then it tries to lift but stops.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Ah'yup, that's for sure the valve being stuck open slightly. welcome to the club lol

15. dfdlamson52

E701B692-A239-4C84-8F17-B0FE194ED6D0.jpeg
    That’s all my problem was back up and running.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why flush them when the purchaser will do it for you...

EWSplow likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    ratherbfishin

What is it?

18. dfdlamson52

Just two very fine pieces of metal. I pushed back on the valve and they fell out.