Intensifier with two plug system

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Tpkmooney, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Tpkmooney

Tpkmooney Junior Member

Is there any way to rewire the new intensifier lights 38800 to work on an MM1 two plug system? I’m stumped.

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Not without a good bit of splicing.

#1, you'll have to modify the light tower or get the extension bracket kit to mount them.

#2, Then you'll need to hack off the 11 pin connector from the 38800 harness and splice on your current 9 pin one (or buy a new 9 pin repair end.) The 11 pin has separate pins for left and right lamps where your 9 pin does not, so you'll need to combine those wires from the 11 pin to the 9 pin end. Obviously the colors will not match because you are going to have more wires on one side than the other.

3. OP
    OP
    Tpkmooney

Tpkmooney Junior Member

Thanks for the response, I modified the light tower so I am good there and spliced what I thought was the correct way. I have both blinkers but Headlight’s are extremely dim.

4. cwren2472

You probably need a better ground than what your 9 pin harness will provide. Try jumping the orange/black wire to the motor ground connection.

dieselss likes this.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If your lights are dim, you might have the positive and gnd backwards

cwren2472 likes this.
  6. cwren2472

Yes, that is also very possible

7. OP
    OP
    Tpkmooney

Tpkmooney Junior Member

I tried them both ways, also I didn’t think these 2 wire halogen bulbs had polarity?

8. dieselss

I know the 3 pins are, forgot the intensifies have 2 bulbs
    If you switched the wires around and no change, then you need to see where your losing voltage.

9. OP
    OP
    Tpkmooney

Tpkmooney Junior Member

Gonna work on the ground first, I’m getting 12 V out of the truck so I can’t see how it would drop through the intensifier harness.

10. dieselss

12v to the relays then out to the plow.
    Still have a few plugs and some wiring.

The headlight ground comes from the main pump ground, via that small blk/org wire

11. cwren2472

If you have 12 volts coming in but disconnect the ground entirely, would you expect it to work?

On the 9 pin harness, you have 1 ground pin for all functions. On the 11 pin, they have 4. I'm going to guess that those highly paid electrical engineers at Fisher figured there was a reason to add the other three.

Randall Ave and dieselss like this.
  12. strausser78

strausser78 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Did you ever get your setup to work? Just bought the 38800 lights and need to wire them to the 9 pin system.